Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will UT3 For Linux Be Released This Year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it UT3 linux client shipping? How much is really soon?

MojoSetup is translated only to Spanish currently,
    will the upcoming titles ship when all translations are
    complete or when?

Comment

• Very probable its coming finally. I couldn't see Epic abandoning the Linux platform even if the game is delayed for Linux.

Comment

• At this point no one (but those involved, probably) knows what's going on with UT3's Linux client. Ryan is most likely held by NDA from saying anything about it, and since Epic doesn't "officially" support Linux as such, there's no one there to turn to for an on-the-record account of what's the deal with UT3's Linux client status, or what's holding it back.

I really hope that the installer would be what's holding UT3 back, though I don't think so.
        Last edited by Thetargos; 04 March 2008, 11:38 AM.

Comment

• Personally I do have the impression that UT3 for Linux will not be released this year. I have no evidence for it what so ever, it is just the strange feeling I have about it with Epic tending to do more work for consoles and maybe wanting MS to be nice to them...

Comment

• I'd wager a guess that we'll be playing on Linux before the 1.4 patch comes out.

As someone who bought the Limited Edition, I'm very dissapointed with Epic.

Comment

• On December 17th I gave my Collector's Edition away after purchasing it on the day it was released.

It's really terrible the position Ryan is put into, and this shouldn't reflect badly on him. If you've seen his resume, you can be pretty damn certain it was ready to go by New Years at the latest.

I not a huge conspiracy guy myself, but Epic has lots of money invested in two Microsoft platforms which is where most of their money comes from: Xbox and Windows. I wouldn't be surprised if they do drop Linux support entirely after this debacle.

Comment

• Mark Rein calls Linux UT3 "Pet Project" Says may or may not come out.

Don't know if any of you guys over here at Phoronix saw Mark Rein's recent comments (from GDC 08 a couple weeks ago) regarding Unreal Tournament 3 on Linux. Check out the video interview (video is about everything Epic Games):

Judging by the comment, I would bet that Unreal Tournament 3 won't come to Linux. I just don't think he wants to admit it since he knows people will be mad. This goes well with the rumors of Microsoft buying the company:

Commenting on the GamePro magazine rumor of Microsoft buying Epic Games for $1 billion dollars, Mark Rein jokingly says that they would at least ask for $2 billion, completely ignoring the question:

"I have not seen the actual GamePro article but if they're going to make predictions about us selling Epic we would prefer if they started at $2 billion," he said. "Because we don't want anyone thinking that we're cheap. "

While it is to early to call, it's looking like Microsoft may be, behind Epic Games dropping support for Linux. Or at least it is beginning to look like Epic Games has no intention on releasing the Linux client.

Comment

• Don't know if any of you guys over here at Phoronix saw Mark Rein's recent comments (from GDC 08 a couple weeks ago) regarding Unreal Tournament 3 on Linux. Check out the video interview (video is about everything Epic Games):

Judging by the comment, I would bet that Unreal Tournament 3 won't come to Linux. I just don't think he wants to admit it since he knows people will be mad. This goes well with the rumors of Microsoft buying the company:

Commenting on the GamePro magazine rumor of Microsoft buying Epic Games for $1 billion dollars, Mark Rein jokingly says that they would at least ask for $2 billion, completely ignoring the question:

"I have not seen the actual GamePro article but if they're going to make predictions about us selling Epic we would prefer if they started at $2 billion," he said. "Because we don't want anyone thinking that we're cheap. "

While it is to early to call, it's looking like Microsoft may be, behind Epic Games dropping support for Linux. Or at least it is beginning to look like Epic Games has no intention on releasing the Linux client.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin View Post
                    Yanno... Considering that they just spun off their flagship games studio that makes the lynchpin piece for the X-Box series of consoles to be it's own company again... Spending ANY money on Epic could be dicey- that's piffling cash/equity away when you get to brass tacks. They're in a tenuous position that could invite investor lawsuits if they pull things like that.

I'm not going to say that they're NOT buying Epic or something like it- but I'm not going to go whole-hog and blather about it either. Flatly speaking we do NOT know what in the hell is going on just like with Id and Rage on Linux- and the stuff speculating on subjects of this matter was DEAD WRONG.

Comment

• Originally posted by fsckin View Post
                      On December 17thI not a huge conspiracy guy myself, but Epic has lots of money invested in two Microsoft platforms which is where most of their money comes from: Xbox and Windows. I wouldn't be surprised if they do drop Linux support entirely after this debacle.
                      Considering that most of Europe and Asia is going the way of the Penguin, that would be an act of folly, really. Just because Windows is the big thing in the US on the desktop doesn't mean it is that way worldwide.

A lot of people bet on Windows (ATI, NVidia, etc...) and lost a lot when Vista actually came out.

Comment

Working...
                      X