7.12 - speculation time...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oliver View Post
    In the past, maybe, but I do feel like ATi/AMD is trying REALLY hard to change that. AMD that is, ever since ATi got bought by AMD it's been an uplifting thing, maybe slow, but things don't always go instantly. It will take time, but I'm quite certain ATi will end up being the winner here.
    When...?

Meanwhile, 'carpe diem'.

Comment

Originally posted by ejs1920 View Post
      But I expect the main focus for the next release will be putting back the FireGL support.
      I sure hope so!

Comment

According to one of Phoronix's articles FireGL is on a different release schedule, something like every 3 months instead of 6 months. It depends at what point their schedule is at.

Comment

I would like to be fixed, in order of importance:

-Video flickering, this bug defeats the purpose of my dual monitor setup.
          -Annoying desktop glitches (AIGLX problems I think) - usually with some compiz effects lagging or corrupting, or when I go to shut down the computer the fade out thing lags horribly.
          -Better OpenGL support in general. Not a problem I experience personally much but a lot of others do.
          -Ability to choose primary monitor like in Windows. Right now I have 2 displays. Display 2 is on the left, 1 is on the right. I want display 2 to be primary and to contain all the gnome bars and stuff but I can't figure out how to do this for the life of me. In windows CCC it's very easy. I've noticed applications like gnome-do pop up on display 2 though, which is where I'd want them if the freakin taskbars were there too.
          -Fix CCC bug after a reboot it shows my displays are in the order of 1 on left 2 on right, but if I hit Identify it correctly shows my displays as 2 on the left and 1 on the right (via the temporary numbers the identify button overlays on the screen).

I love the new release numbers. If nothing more it practically guarantees a new release every month. I have not been worn out waiting for better fglrx drivers like a lot of you as I jumped on the 'nix scene when Ubuntu Gutsy 7.10 came out, meaning I have not been waiting as long. I guess I picked the right time as from what I can tell DAMMIT is finally picking up the pace.

Comment

In my dual monitor fglrx setup, I can just drag the gnome bar over to the second monitor. As long as gnome's appearance preferences are set to the dual monitor size (something like 3360x1050) as the default, this sticks with every reboot.

What I'd like:
            - no more flickering xvideo/opengl windows under compiz-fusion
            - faster scrolling under compiz-fusion (firefox, adobe acrobat).
            - automatic display hotplugging and a nice CCC interface to support it.
            - powerplay options taking effect when I plug in and unplug the AC power on the laptop, with a CCC interface for it (like in Windows).

Comment

Originally posted by sastraxi View Post
              In my dual monitor fglrx setup, I can just drag the gnome bar over to the second monitor. As long as gnome's appearance preferences are set to the dual monitor size (something like 3360x1050) as the default, this sticks with every reboot.

What I'd like:
              - no more flickering xvideo/opengl windows under compiz-fusion
              - faster scrolling under compiz-fusion (firefox, adobe acrobat).
              - automatic display hotplugging and a nice CCC interface to support it.
              - powerplay options taking effect when I plug in and unplug the AC power on the laptop, with a CCC interface for it (like in Windows).
              I feel stupid for not trying to click and drag. Curse myself for not being able to fully understand the GNOME philosophy of not torturing the user with settings buried 500 clicks deep!

Does this make the login screen appear on the desktop the main taskbar is on too? Because the login window is also on the monitor I don't want it to be on (My only other wish then for my dual monitor setup is to have another AWN bar on the second monitor, listing only the tasks on that monitor and whatever buttons I decide to put there)

I really think ATI needs to throw a lot of manpower behind the linux driver AND control center. CCC in Linux is like a grain of sand, and CCC in Windows is like a beach. Not to say it isn't useful and improving with each release, it is just sorely lacking the features the Windows version has to offer. Of course I will take the video flickering fix over a better CCC any day!

Comment

ati sux ass

Originally posted by Source Of Radiance View Post
                No but seriously, I never try to convert ATI users to Linux because of the crap they would have to go through. On the other hand lots of people are happy Linux users, in part due to the fantastic nvidida drivers. ATI's drivers are HURTING LINUX ADOPTION. If you disagree that's fine but that's exactly what's happening in reality here.
                You are perfectly right.I recently switched to linux and found myself in a lot of problems thanks to the ati idiots (even on windows i had problems:the screen flickes every once in a while and the BSOD visited me regulary).On linux the driver tries do diversify and breaks suspend/resume, performance and who knows what else.
                We often complain that we don't have games on linux.Well no one make them because you can't play at 1 fps
                I recently installed linux to a fried with a nvidia card(i think the word nvidia comes from envy......envy because you have ati. in my language "nvidia" is more similar to "envy")and everything worked: compiz, suspend/resume, World of Warcraft run thru wine at more then decent fps, good playback quality....the things you get with a videocard.
                So I hope AMD will help Ati rise from the ashes and by doing that it will help linux get more popular by having games and things......

Anyway I hope they fired all the ati programmers

I had to throw a mean joke so that we are even now

Comment

I really think ATI needs to throw a lot of manpower behind the linux driver AND control center
                  also that manpower has to grok the codebase in order to do something useful about it. that will take some time either way, whether they are going to hire new people or move some additional developers to linux team.

well, aside for specs we do not have much information what's going on inside. are they really concerned about fglrx [and doing something about it], or are they doing things the old way?
                  Last edited by yoshi314; 12 December 2007, 08:12 AM.

Comment

well, aside for specs we do not have much information what's going on inside. are they really concerned about fglrx [and doing something about it], or are they doing things the old way?
                    silence is golden - i think they're (ATI) going to have to announce something in response to all the community feedback (curses) that's accumulating - it'll either be something to shut us up (a "hectic omg" driver cough cough) or something that shows that all our feedback is going somewhere (like a massive changelog (with even more bugs)) or making the ati bugzilla official.

With the ATI driver team so called "beefing up", more specs released sooner are a no brainer - i just hope it also means more community presence/interaction with the devs (their response seems most of the time "I can't comment on that", wait... "big announcement" then back to "no comment").

Can someone refresh my memory - how many devs are working on the linux driver currently (not the core shared by win)?And how many positions were advertised overall?

At the very least all this hiring means we come closer to a full spec RadeonHD

Comment

Several monkeys are employed to write fglrx. Remember: if you have an infinite number of monkeys bashing away on an infinite number of PCs then it's only a matter of time before they write a working fglrx.

Comment

Working...
                      X