No announcement yet.

7.12 - speculation time...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think there are really any outstanding issues with g80 either. I have a geforce 8400m gs on my notebook and its awesome. Doom3 runs fluid like quake3 , even at ultra quality . Name any feature, you have it. Yes, there were a few performance regressions with g80 sometime back, as pointed out by phoradeonix and they were resolved reasonably quickly (many thanks for that!). And they were professional at it - they didn't fsck around introducing superficial problems like watermarks, or drop support from their workstation line or something. We didn't have to wait 2-4 generations for a driver like amd/ati! And I believe the only feature missing at the moment from g80 is xvmc, and personally I don't mind it as I am no HD person .

And anyone having second thoughts on g80 vs g70/60, please note that g80 is a completely new arch with stream processors. HDR I believe wasn't there in g70/60 (at least not on my geforce 7400 go ). And only g80 can run cuda, if you want to utilize it for some serious pure computing power. I believe that there was a small gap between g60/g70, but g80 is a completely different beast.

The truth is this - I am urging amd/ati users to ponder about the facts. The fact is that nvidia drivers, even 5 years ago (when i started using linux in 2002 on my onboard geforce2 ) were better than ati drivers in current state. Leave the compositing stuff. And nvidia apparently has more competent and enthusiast linux driver developers, and in number too, than ati drivers. So would any ati/amd optimist justify their optimism . So long waiting till 2010 for a fully functional hd2900xxxt driver (with no avivo ).

And to be very honest, I am in this thread, not much as a unsponsored advertiser for nvidia, but to add more salt to the wounds of amd/ati frustrated users. (After all, its a sarcastic thread .)

Real men use nvidia cards .

Comment

Let me put my feelings toward ATI/AMD like this:
      I'm requesting an nVidia card for Christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by SheeEttin View Post
        Let me put my feelings toward ATI/AMD like this:
        I'm requesting an nVidia card for Christmas.
        Are you sheeettin me?

On a more serious note, if the price/performance ratio of nVidia cards were any better than ATi's where I live, I'd probably buy them. ATi has certainly scored a couple of points by starting to release some specs, so I'd still have to pick carefully. But none of this matters as I don't have any money to spend on gfx cards right now I've got to put up with my good ol' x850, thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
          Uh, CHILL. Until AMD gets it's act together either by way of open drivers or properly working fglrx drivers, it's still a valid comment to people to get an NVidia card- in fact, for right now, I recommend that new or upgrading Linux users get NVidia G70 series parts as there's...

1) Nothing in G80 for you performance-wise and there's issues with the parts still.
          2) The G60/G70 support is ROCK-SOLID and will provide more than adequate capabilities for titles in the current development pipeline and for at least the next 6-12 months on Linux. There is NOTHING that actually USES anything that the G80 or the R600 offers for Linux right at the moment and for the timeframe I mentioned.

If you're bothered by the remarks in question, you should simply ignore them. Telling people to GTFO is rather childish (and fanboyish...).

Now, having said my peace on that matter, I'll add that I hope that they ran valgrind and oprofile on the drivers with a range of applications, ranging from glxgears to Quake4. That should reveal a lot of the issues and if they can't get 'em all fixed, they should at least get that stupid memory leak.
          It's not what was said it was the way it was said. We don't need smart arse comments when it's frustrating enough as it is!

Comment

Real men use nvidia cards
            tough guys endure the pain and stick with ati :]

Comment

C'mon guys. Drop the fanboi crap. Please?

Most of the people have said their peace with regards to NVidia vs. AMD. It doesn't need to degenerate into a bunch of bashing back and forth (and it's damned near that right now with people bandying about "Real men use nvidia cards" and "NVidia users can GTFO"...)- all you'll end up doing is getting Michael involved and you'll get in trouble in the forums over it.

Comment

No but seriously, I never try to convert ATI users to Linux because of the crap they would have to go through. On the other hand lots of people are happy Linux users, in part due to the fantastic nvidida drivers. ATI's drivers are HURTING LINUX ADOPTION. If you disagree that's fine but that's exactly what's happening in reality here.

Comment

Originally posted by Source Of Radiance View Post
                  No but seriously, I never try to convert ATI users to Linux because of the crap they would have to go through. On the other hand lots of people are happy Linux users, in part due to the fantastic nvidida drivers. ATI's drivers are HURTING LINUX ADOPTION. If you disagree that's fine but that's exactly what's happening in reality here.
                  In the past, maybe, but I do feel like ATi/AMD is trying REALLY hard to change that. AMD that is, ever since ATi got bought by AMD it's been an uplifting thing, maybe slow, but things don't always go instantly. It will take time, but I'm quite certain ATi will end up being the winner here.

Comment

i would only wish for better performance overall .. Alot of things appear oddly "choppy" under 7.11's AIGLX (or 8.42 for that matter), as opposed to 8.40 using Xgl.

Now, the only beef I actually have with Xgl and 8.40 is that certain apps (like 3D games and wine emulations for instance) not only don't run, often times they'll downright kill the X server. This is probably an XGL bug though, but since there is no AIGLX available, I am stuck with that.

So if I could just get smooth performance everywhere and video that won't be choppy in compiz (or just mess up the display), I will be more than happy. Oh and fix the mem leak ... that stuff is scary.

Come on AMD give us a little christmas gift

Comment

I've tried 7.11 on my X700 Mobility just to see if I could use AIGLX. Okay, I must admit it did run, but it was painfully slow to scroll anything on Firefox for example, so the AIGLX support they claim is useless.

It's ridiculous that Intel onboard graphics outperform my dedicated card on AIGLX.

Considering I plan on upgrading my notebook next year, I'll probably never see the light on ATI. I doubt they can prove me they can provide good drivers before I have to choose a new notebook (and I will definitelly choose one that works fine in Linux).

Comment

Working...
                      X