No announcement yet.

7.12 - speculation time...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They will change all Radeon cards for nVidia free of charge to give users at last a good experience.

Well, unfortunately not. I expect them to fix one Catalyst Control panel bug nobody ever complained about, introduce 2 grave bugs in the installer scripts, ignore the memory leak, create two new bugs inside the driver that will disable video playback at all, probably they may manage to cripple older GPU's via the driver to make people buy new ones.

Comment

I hope they fix the soname bug - it should be pretty trivial to fix - and it would make finding the correct libGL much easier.

But I expect the main focus for the next release will be putting back the FireGL support.

Comment

My expectations

By now I'm tired of memory leaks, video flickering, inability to do suspend-to-ram, screen and mouse corruption and laggy kernel version support...

Forget those and just give us a pretty splash image for X11 or something.

Comment

stop complaining, talk about what we do need the most,

I doubt ati developers are even arsed to look in forums though,

but well, We got aiglx present, okey, a start, we've seen some hidden features which is in alpha beta state.
          we've seen some major updates, except for the 7.11, but the name is quite nice, and probaly releases at same time as windows,makes it less confusing with all theese driver numbers =)

Well, i wanna see movies in AIGLX, i wanna scroll faster.

THE ONLY 2 ISSUES I GOT WITH MY ATI CARD.

I also wanna see Crossfire support for my upcomming quad 3870 platform. atleast 2videocard CF support.

Some features in control panel, and so on is something i'd like to see. name what you guys really need.

my top issues would be . 2 way CF support and aiglx performance, especially with videoplayback.

so gotta tell its a progress, ati makes good cards, but bad drivers, but i hope this will turn.
          Last edited by Ole-Martin Broz; 06 December 2007, 05:02 PM.

Comment

nVidia users can GTFO, we know nVidia drivers are better atm although I heard some are having problems lately.

7.11 seemed to be about the rename more than anything so hopefully this next release will fix the major issues people are having:

1) Memory leak - it's no good having blazing fast 3D if it crashes after 5 mins.
            2) Rialto chip - majority of AGP card owners using this chip are having big problems for months now.

Get those two major show stoppers fixed and I might be able to play games newer than Quake 3 under Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Crunchy View Post
              nVidia users can GTFO, we know nVidia drivers are better atm although I heard some are having problems lately.
              Uh, CHILL. Until AMD gets it's act together either by way of open drivers or properly working fglrx drivers, it's still a valid comment to people to get an NVidia card- in fact, for right now, I recommend that new or upgrading Linux users get NVidia G70 series parts as there's...

1) Nothing in G80 for you performance-wise and there's issues with the parts still.
              2) The G60/G70 support is ROCK-SOLID and will provide more than adequate capabilities for titles in the current development pipeline and for at least the next 6-12 months on Linux. There is NOTHING that actually USES anything that the G80 or the R600 offers for Linux right at the moment and for the timeframe I mentioned.

If you're bothered by the remarks in question, you should simply ignore them. Telling people to GTFO is rather childish (and fanboyish...).

Now, having said my peace on that matter, I'll add that I hope that they ran valgrind and oprofile on the drivers with a range of applications, ranging from glxgears to Quake4. That should reveal a lot of the issues and if they can't get 'em all fixed, they should at least get that stupid memory leak.
              Last edited by Svartalf; 07 December 2007, 02:01 PM.

Comment

No, he's right, this is an ATi thread

and i'd still not recommend nVidia. Why? CLosed drivers are getting better and better, and the open ones, should be kicking ass soon too. And with a descent card, (pure agp or pure PCI-e) you should get quite far with the current drivers. Hell i play wow and et:qw on my ancient 9500Pro without (m)any issues.

Comment

i have no idea how can you still have hope for fglrx.

i guess wating for fglrx to get stable worn me out. new codebase driver was a major dissappointment (for me) and my long-lasting hope finally died.

looks like every post i write turns out into a rant. damn, so uncreative :/

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
                    i have no idea how can you still have hope for fglrx.

i guess wating for fglrx to get stable worn me out. new codebase driver was a major dissappointment (for me) and my long-lasting hope finally died.

looks like every post i write turns out into a rant. damn, so uncreative :/
                    But I'm with you

Comment

Originally posted by oliver View Post
                      No, he's right, this is an ATi thread
                      It doesn't give him the right to say GTFO. It's a valid comment about issues with the drivers.

and i'd still not recommend nVidia. Why? CLosed drivers are getting better and better, and the open ones, should be kicking ass soon too. And with a descent card, (pure agp or pure PCI-e) you should get quite far with the current drivers. Hell i play wow and et:qw on my ancient 9500Pro without (m)any issues.
                      This implies that there's a decent choice in AMD's lineup right at the moment that doesn't have some sort of very NASTY driver issues right at the moment. You can't get anything except the R500/R600 parts new- only used- all of which have nasty sharp edges to their use on Linux right at the moment. You're lucky because of the SPECIFIC part you've got.

I've had a decade of pie in the sky hopes of buying this or that on the premise that there will be an open source driver eventually built for device "X"- some of that hope coming from MY doing the drivers, some of it from other people. Some of it has been worth it. Some of it hasn't. Telling someone to get an AMD part right now just because they've given out tech data's kind of putting the cart before the horse. It's not there yet and if you're honest with yourself, you'd realize this.

Comment

Working...
                      X