• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fglrx needs more monkeys.

let's hope that these are different monkeys than those preparing the specs

Comment

Originally posted by Crunchy View Post
      Several monkeys are employed to write fglrx. Remember: if you have an infinite number of monkeys bashing away on an infinite number of PCs then it's only a matter of time before they write a working fglrx.
      Goddam you people bitch.

Yes ATI support for linux is still lacking a bit but they are improving it and they are improving their driver dev team. It'll take time though.

Comment

in the meantime we have to do one thing ati linux customers have the most practice at - patiently wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
          Uh, CHILL. Until AMD gets it's act together either by way of open drivers or properly working fglrx drivers, it's still a valid comment to people to get an NVidia card- in fact, for right now, I recommend that new or upgrading Linux users get NVidia G70 series parts as there's...
          There's nothing more irritating than having some jerk on a forum snidely drop the "go buy an Nvidia card" comment every time someone has an ATI-related graphics problem.

Well, news flash... there are a huge number of people running an ATI/Linux combo on a LAPTOP.

You're suggesting that all of these people throw their whole PC away and get something else, because there are bugs in a driver?

Please.

Can we get some sort of ruling from the mods on this? Maybe a total moratorium on these "get an nvidia, tee hee" sophomoric comments?

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
            let's hope that these are different monkeys than those preparing the specs

Yes. Until Alex started I was the only monkey working directly on specs.
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Porter View Post
              There's nothing more irritating than having some jerk on a forum snidely drop the "go buy an Nvidia card" comment every time someone has an ATI-related graphics problem.

Well, news flash... there are a huge number of people running an ATI/Linux combo on a LAPTOP.

You're suggesting that all of these people throw their whole PC away and get something else, because there are bugs in a driver?

Please.

Can we get some sort of ruling from the mods on this? Maybe a total moratorium on these "get an nvidia, tee hee" sophomoric comments?
              You're right but I think that huge number will remain unhappy for much time .

Comment

Originally posted by Porter View Post

I ask that those with such comments just refrain from the spam or do it in the NVIDIA Phoronix forum. There won't be any banning or anything if you do make such comments, but everyone's free to voice their opinion as long as it doesn't get out of hand and turn into a flame war.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  I ask that those with such comments just refrain from the spam or do it in the NVIDIA Phoronix forum. There won't be any banning or anything if you do make such comments, but everyone's free to voice their opinion as long as it doesn't get out of hand and turn into a flame war.
                  That said, Michael do you have the 7.12 beta driver allready? Do you have an AGP -> PCI-e card? and can atleast let us faintly know if we finally get to use our Rialto based cards?

Comment

Originally posted by oliver View Post
                    That said, Michael do you have the 7.12 beta driver allready? Do you have an AGP -> PCI-e card? and can atleast let us faintly know if we finally get to use our Rialto based cards?
                    Like always, I am not permitted to discuss upcoming activities unless otherwise specified. Though if you pay attention to Phorogit, the catalyst-7.12 merge window is closing.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                      Yes. Until Alex started I was the only monkey working directly on specs.
                      Since you are working on the specs, maybe you know this.

Currently the fglrx driver supports powerplay and allows switching between the states, but it allows only the default powerstate in dual head mode. (on r400)
                      Is powerstate switching when in dual head mode just not possible (by definition), or is this just a restriction made by the driver?

Or is this maybe r400 specific and would work on newer chips?

Comment

Working...
                      X