No announcement yet.

7.12 - speculation time...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry for interrupting your discussion... but... I feel it in my fingers, I feel it in my toes... today's the day :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
      It's very apparent that their QA staff doesn't know what to test under Linux or things are getting swept under the carpet.
      You can't be wrong, leaving mem leaks in the driver clearly shows that they didn't test their code against the largest board of hardware. I would like to be a little bee and watch how the hell they leaved such a bug in the nature. No offense to people how work on it, they must have pretty hard time for a while now.

I think that's part of the comments about AMD talking about the price they bought AMD.
      They over estimmated the quality of the teams etc...
      I trully think that AMD is very Linux friendly and considering their financial problems, the situation can take time to be improved, but I believe AMD has enough good experience with linux and that's enough for me to hope for better days...
      Last edited by lucky_; 19 December 2007, 11:45 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ddoan View Post
        Sorry for interrupting your discussion... but... I feel it in my fingers, I feel it in my toes... today's the day :-)
        We can only hope...

Comment

• Originally posted by lucky_ View Post
          I think that's part of the comments about AMD talking about the price they bought AMD.
          They over estimmated the quality of the teams etc...
          I trully think that AMD is very Linux friendly and considering their financial problems, the situation can take time to be improved, but I believe AMD has enough good experience with linux and that's enough for me to hope for better days...
          They didn't over estimate the ability or quality of the teams- they didn't know that the Linux side of things or the OpenGL side of things had been let go in the manner ATI had done for as long as they had done it.

ATI was flatly more interested in DirectX and it showed in dealing with their devrel people. If you were doing a Windows title, unless you badgered them about needing to be cross-platform, they'd do their level best to convince you that Direct3D was the way to go. Even then it was a hassle. This is not ragging on the devrel guys- they were doing what they were told to do.

The biggest problem is, while that was "where the money is", it wasn't going to be for much longer- the money is in cross-platform support and in supercomputing using GPU stream processing. In the one space, OpenGL and OpenGL ES is largely the only play. It covers everything- and covers pretty much all the stuff Direct3D does. Otherwise, you wouldn't see it as the base 3D support API for the PS3 (The PS3 uses an enhanced OpenGL ES 2.X type interface...go figure...) and OpenGL ES is what is being used for the API for 2D and 3D on the next crop of mobile devices. From Windows to Palmtop computers, it just works. For GPU coprocessing, the platform of choice for supercomputing (where you'd use it...) is...LINUX.

AMD knows this. ATI didn't get it until it was nearly too late for them. They almost missed the bus.

Comment

• don't get your hopes up. i doubt we'll see it this week.

well, we can only speculate.

Comment

• Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
              don't get your hopes up. i doubt we'll see it this week.

well, we can only speculate.
              You're right, but my speculation is December 20th as I've said before in this thread, and its still possible hehehe. We'll see, if it isn't Tomorrow, then I say the 31st.

Comment

• Originally posted by Malikith View Post
                You're right, but my speculation is December 20th as I've said before in this thread, and its still possible hehehe. We'll see, if it isn't Tomorrow, then I say the 31st.
                You should hopefully see within a few minutes...
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  You are such a brat, Michael... So, if I'm reading that right, I can have something new to test out on my test bed setup with R420 and Rv515 parts shortly, then... Excellent.

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    wow, let's hope for today and let's hope that after the install I will have not to buy an nvidia

Comment

• OMG... anticipation is always high wednesdays at the end of the month! untill we install the driver and it gets us off guard once again ^_^

Comment

Working...
                      X