Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Article on VAAPI?

Hi Michael,
    Looking on the web, i've found that intel is working on a new video acceleration api, vaapi. While the software is still in the planning phase and article on vaapi would be very interesting. This maybe premature however
    Thanks

Sreyan

iu am very interesting in this too.

Comment

well, if you'll write about vaapi, i think that it is necessary to explain gallium3d, dri2, Input Redirection, Redirected Direct Rendering, llvm, glucose, ttm, mpx and so on, too. we're going to see several improvements on the x-server which are really exciting...
      Last edited by Regenwald; 05 January 2008, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Regenwald View Post
        well, if you'll write about vaapi, i think that it is necessary to explain gallium3d, dri2, Input Redirection, Redirected Direct Rendering, llvm, glucose, ttm, mpx and so on, too. we're going to see several improvements on the x-server which are really exciting...
        Please do, that would be really interesting.

Comment

well, michael is at ces at the moment. we have to remember him when he's back...

Comment

Still no news article on VaAPI from Phoronix.com?

I only found the news article on "A Unified GPGPU API In Gallium3D"
            Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Maybe VaAPI could be implemented in Mesa but above the Gallium3D architecture in a similar manor to the one suggested for GPGPU in Zack Rusin's blog; though as a unified hardware assisted video decoding API above Gallium3D written using a state tracker?

Zack adds that as Gallium3D now uses LLVM (Low Level Virtual Machine) for compiling and accelerating shaders, any programming language could be put on the GPU with "minimal effort
            http://zrusin.blogspot.com/2008/02/gpgpu.html

Then make VaAPI support mandatory in each Gallium3D based device driver ...maybe a good idea since VaAPI spport is required both in the video codec decoder and the device driver for the graphics hardware?

PS! a generic XvMC library ('libxvmc') would probably be implemented in a similar way for backwards compatibility for video codecs and device drivers that do not yet feature VaAPI support (which today is most if not all).

Hope that this new Video Acceleration API will recieve a little more attention from the press in the future

Comment

Working...
            X