Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Softpipe Gets Close On GL3, Mesa 8.0 For Early February

Phoronix: Softpipe Gets Close On GL3, Mesa 8.0 For Early February

The Mesa Softpipe driver is now getting close to handling OpenGL 3.0 support for the Mesa 8.0 release, which is expected to be branched next week...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So Apple stays in GL 2.1 land....well thas awkward :P

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
      So Apple stays in GL 2.1 land....well thas awkward :P
      AFAIK they have 3.2 since 10.7, but I don't really follow OS X, hence the numbers might be wrong.

Is there any driver which advertises gl3? Did I miss the commit? -- Otherwise why rename to 8 just yet?

Comment

Originally posted by HokTar View Post
        AFAIK they have 3.2 since 10.7, but I don't really follow OS X, hence the numbers might be wrong.

Is there any driver which advertises gl3? Did I miss the commit? -- Otherwise why rename to 8 just yet?
        Well, hopefully softpipe will advertise GL3.
        Last edited by Drago; 06 January 2012, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          Phoronix: Softpipe Gets Close On GL3, Mesa 8.0 For Early February

A distribution vendor has been demanding that Mesa 7.12/8.0 be branched ASAP... "the VMware guys *really* want us to make the 8.0 branch today to align with another distro's schedule." and "I talked to said distro and they don't mind doing the branch mid week" etc... They don't mention the distribution by name, but after mentioning the distribution's feature freeze date is 16 February, that means it's Canonical worrying about Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTAzODU
          Er, not quite.

Canonical isn't demanding anything, we're actually pretty flexible here. The VMWare guys want to make certain that mesa 7.12 is in Ubuntu 12.04, because that's what their driver requires, and they want to be able to support that on the Ubuntu LTS. So they've been actively involved both with us and the mesa folks to ensure the release goes smoothly and makes it in safely by Ubuntu's feature freeze date. We plan on starting mesa 8.0 packaging work once it's branched; that had been planned for next week at the Ubuntu Precise Sprint based on our estimation that the tree would have branched around now, so the second quote is just VMWare saying they checked with us and verified that we don't mind if our packaging work has to get delayed a bit.

So, no evil conspiracies, just folks doublechecking other people's schedules.

Comment

Originally posted by HokTar View Post

AFAIK i965 does on SB. I also recall that the initial plans for 8.0 was GL3, but not necessarily any driver supporting it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryce Harrington View Post
              Er, not quite.

Canonical isn't demanding anything, we're actually pretty flexible here. The VMWare guys want to make certain that mesa 7.12 is in Ubuntu 12.04, because that's what their driver requires, and they want to be able to support that on the Ubuntu LTS. So they've been actively involved both with us and the mesa folks to ensure the release goes smoothly and makes it in safely by Ubuntu's feature freeze date. We plan on starting mesa 8.0 packaging work once it's branched; that had been planned for next week at the Ubuntu Precise Sprint based on our estimation that the tree would have branched around now, so the second quote is just VMWare saying they checked with us and verified that we don't mind if our packaging work has to get delayed a bit.

So, no evil conspiracies, just folks doublechecking other people's schedules.
              Thanks for the clarification, Bryce.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by whizse View Post
                AFAIK i965 does on SB.
                Could anyone confirm this? Would be interesting to know.
                However, I don't think it is true, because gl3.txt is regulary updated but it still has a few missing options.

Comment

Unigine Tropics/Heaven

Does this mean it's possible to (properly) run Unigine Tropics and Heaven benchmarks? Are there going to be benchmarks with OSS drivers on Phoronix?

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                    sure... unigine only means openGL3+
                    I ment using software pipe. What about patented texture compression (if there are)?

Comment

Working...
                    X