Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Softpipe Gets Close On GL3, Mesa 8.0 For Early February

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,423

    Default Softpipe Gets Close On GL3, Mesa 8.0 For Early February

    Phoronix: Softpipe Gets Close On GL3, Mesa 8.0 For Early February

    The Mesa Softpipe driver is now getting close to handling OpenGL 3.0 support for the Mesa 8.0 release, which is expected to be branched next week...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTAzODU

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Russe, Bulgaria
    Posts
    540

    Default

    So Apple stays in GL 2.1 land....well thas awkward :P

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drago View Post
    So Apple stays in GL 2.1 land....well thas awkward :P
    AFAIK they have 3.2 since 10.7, but I don't really follow OS X, hence the numbers might be wrong.


    Is there any driver which advertises gl3? Did I miss the commit? -- Otherwise why rename to 8 just yet?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Russe, Bulgaria
    Posts
    540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HokTar View Post
    AFAIK they have 3.2 since 10.7, but I don't really follow OS X, hence the numbers might be wrong.


    Is there any driver which advertises gl3? Did I miss the commit? -- Otherwise why rename to 8 just yet?
    Well, hopefully softpipe will advertise GL3.
    Last edited by Drago; 01-06-2012 at 06:50 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Softpipe Gets Close On GL3, Mesa 8.0 For Early February

    A distribution vendor has been demanding that Mesa 7.12/8.0 be branched ASAP... "the VMware guys *really* want us to make the 8.0 branch today to align with another distro's schedule." and "I talked to said distro and they don't mind doing the branch mid week" etc... They don't mention the distribution by name, but after mentioning the distribution's feature freeze date is 16 February, that means it's Canonical worrying about Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTAzODU
    Er, not quite.

    Canonical isn't demanding anything, we're actually pretty flexible here. The VMWare guys want to make certain that mesa 7.12 is in Ubuntu 12.04, because that's what their driver requires, and they want to be able to support that on the Ubuntu LTS. So they've been actively involved both with us and the mesa folks to ensure the release goes smoothly and makes it in safely by Ubuntu's feature freeze date. We plan on starting mesa 8.0 packaging work once it's branched; that had been planned for next week at the Ubuntu Precise Sprint based on our estimation that the tree would have branched around now, so the second quote is just VMWare saying they checked with us and verified that we don't mind if our packaging work has to get delayed a bit.

    So, no evil conspiracies, just folks doublechecking other people's schedules.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    983

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HokTar View Post
    AFAIK they have 3.2 since 10.7, but I don't really follow OS X, hence the numbers might be wrong.


    Is there any driver which advertises gl3? Did I miss the commit? -- Otherwise why rename to 8 just yet?
    AFAIK i965 does on SB. I also recall that the initial plans for 8.0 was GL3, but not necessarily any driver supporting it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryce Harrington View Post
    Er, not quite.

    Canonical isn't demanding anything, we're actually pretty flexible here. The VMWare guys want to make certain that mesa 7.12 is in Ubuntu 12.04, because that's what their driver requires, and they want to be able to support that on the Ubuntu LTS. So they've been actively involved both with us and the mesa folks to ensure the release goes smoothly and makes it in safely by Ubuntu's feature freeze date. We plan on starting mesa 8.0 packaging work once it's branched; that had been planned for next week at the Ubuntu Precise Sprint based on our estimation that the tree would have branched around now, so the second quote is just VMWare saying they checked with us and verified that we don't mind if our packaging work has to get delayed a bit.

    So, no evil conspiracies, just folks doublechecking other people's schedules.
    i hope they give a fuck on VMWare!

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryce Harrington View Post
    Er, not quite.

    Canonical isn't demanding anything, we're actually pretty flexible here. The VMWare guys want to make certain that mesa 7.12 is in Ubuntu 12.04, because that's what their driver requires, and they want to be able to support that on the Ubuntu LTS. So they've been actively involved both with us and the mesa folks to ensure the release goes smoothly and makes it in safely by Ubuntu's feature freeze date. We plan on starting mesa 8.0 packaging work once it's branched; that had been planned for next week at the Ubuntu Precise Sprint based on our estimation that the tree would have branched around now, so the second quote is just VMWare saying they checked with us and verified that we don't mind if our packaging work has to get delayed a bit.

    So, no evil conspiracies, just folks doublechecking other people's schedules.
    Thanks for the clarification, Bryce.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whizse View Post
    AFAIK i965 does on SB.
    Could anyone confirm this? Would be interesting to know.
    However, I don't think it is true, because gl3.txt is regulary updated but it still has a few missing options.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    29

    Default Unigine Tropics/Heaven

    Does this mean it's possible to (properly) run Unigine Tropics and Heaven benchmarks? Are there going to be benchmarks with OSS drivers on Phoronix?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •