New Adobe Flash Player 9 Linux Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kano View Post
    Well it seems envy has a problem to be uptodate My nvidia script is usually working 5 min after I know of a new driver *g*

http://kanotix.com/files/install-nvidia-debian.sh
    Heh... We'd expect a distribution developer to get it working easily...

Comment

Originally posted by jlward4th View Post
      Has anyone tried nspluginwrapper with this release? I'd be interested to hear feedback on how well it works.

-James (Adobe)
      Hi James,

I just did and it works with nspluginwrapper on Gentoo amd64. It's just as responsive with/without hardware acceleration and CPU usage remains at ~15% on YouTube. What is it supposed to accelerate?
      It seems a bit more prone to hang in infinite loops (using all CPU), but on the upside, killing the npviewer.bin process now allows the Flash plugin to recover without restarting Firefox; nice!

Comment

I'm not sure whats going on, but on my box and my friends box this flash is way slower, pages with lots of flash embeds on them chunk near to a halt. Fullscreen is unusable. Same bad performance in firefox 2 and 3 beta, with or without hardware accell and with or without compiz fusion.

I feel like this is typical. I'm sure its fixable but we both downgraded back to the old release. Sigh.

And yes I'm using nvidia binary and direct rendering and the whole nine yards is set up correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          Well it seems envy has a problem to be uptodate My nvidia script is usually working 5 min after I know of a new driver *g*

http://kanotix.com/files/install-nvidia-debian.sh
          Hoho, thanks a lot! The script works really well.
          Although, the new flashplayer still runs very slow on full-screen youtube video even with the new nvidia driver installed.

Comment

My biggest gripe with this new release is the huge performance loss compared to stable 9.0r48. I simply cannot accept web pages consuming 100%+ CPU just because of Flash-ads. I went back to 9.0r48...

Comment

It is dreadfully slow, see this thread -> http://blogs.adobe.com/penguin.swf/2...e_3_final.html

r48 is the best release so far. A real shame because there is some excellent work going on in the flash world by the devs, for example, h264 and multi-core rendering.

Comment

I noticed slow performance with the fglrx driver. After setting the experimental options "Textured2D" and "TexturedXrender", it was really fast again.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                  I noticed slow performance with the fglrx driver. After setting the experimental options "Textured2D" and "TexturedXrender", it was really fast again.
                  Hey, cool suggestion. I've tried it, but I don't see any difference .. 9.0r115 is the same performance-wise, even with "Textured2D" and "TexturedXrender" options enabled. Granted, my testing is crude, but it's really only interesting if it makes a real-world visible change for the better.

This might also be due to the fact that I am still using fglrx 8.40.4 (because of problems with certain wide-screen resolutions in 7.12). The 8.40.4 driver has those options in it, but if they're even functional in that release.. I don't know.

[Ubuntu Gutsy 32bit, Firefox, Core Duo, ATI X1400 mobile]

Comment

I would suggest using the Catalyst 7.11 driver release. Did you experience any problems with that one? I think the Textured2D and TexturedXrender options have not really been implemented with 8.40.4.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                      I would suggest using the Catalyst 7.11 driver release. Did you experience any problems with that one? I think the Textured2D and TexturedXrender options have not really been implemented with 8.40.4.
                      Yep, but unfortunately there has been serious issues, bugs and problems with every single release after 8.40.4 on my ATI chipset (X1400, r5xx).

However, I'm certain that the options have some kind of effect in 8.40.4, since render_bench shows an enourmous increase in performance for non-scaled blending through XRender. It's fast, but the colours are all wrong .

I guess I'll be trying these options with 8.1 (or whatever version number the next fglrx release will have).

Comment

Working...
                      X