Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Adobe Flash Player 9 Linux Release

Phoronix: New Adobe Flash Player 9 Linux Release

Following the series of Adobe Flash Player 9 Linux betas over the past year (news announcements), the Adobe folks have unleashed the Flash Player 9 Update 3 Final build. This update is not only available for Windows and Mac OS X, but a new Linux build was released on the same day.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: New Adobe Flash Player 9 Linux Release

Following the series of Adobe Flash Player 9 Linux betas over the past year (news announcements), the Adobe folks have unleashed the Flash Player 9 Update 3 Final build. This update is not only available for Windows and Mac OS X, but a new Linux build was released on the same day.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NjIzNA
    *sigh*

Still no 64bit release? Shameful. nspluginwrapper works bout 80% of the time, and to hell with running a chroot.

Comment

I don't know what they did with this version, but it is really slow while playing youtube videos under full-screen using this version of flashplayer in my Ubuntu Gutsy box.

Comment

Originally posted by dickeywang View Post
        I don't know what they did with this version, but it is really slow while playing youtube videos under full-screen using this version of flashplayer in my Ubuntu Gutsy box.
        Right-click on the video, select settings, and turn off (or on) "Enable Hardware Acceleration". This update to Flash Player adds hardware acceleration for full screen video. If hardware acceleration isn't working in X then perhaps Flash Player is using X's software acceleration which is pretty slow. Let me know if that helps.

-James (Adobe)

Comment

Thanks Adobe!

Comment

Originally posted by epoch View Post
            *sigh*

Still no 64bit release? Shameful. nspluginwrapper works bout 80% of the time, and to hell with running a chroot.
            Seconded.

(Blah blah, 10 chars).

Comment

Originally posted by epoch View Post
              *sigh*

Has anyone tried nspluginwrapper with this release? I'd be interested to hear feedback on how well it works.

-James (Adobe)

Comment

The new features are excellent, but x-embed is still much slower than the previous method on my 2.4Ghz P4. I can no longer play back a lot of high res flash movies without juddering, so back to the previous versions for me. That said, it's not really adobe's (or mozilla's) fault, although perhaps a poor choice, the blame lies more with x.org.

Great to see H264 and AAC out there, let's hope devs make good use of them.

Edit: I ought to mention, i have hardware accelleration on, although I thought that option did nothing under Linux?
                On my linux machine at work, which is much faster, the plugin runs great, speed wise. The GTK menus are a nice touch too!
                Don't forget that although the xembed API is better, until it's much more optimised, it's just too slow for people on older hardware.
                Last edited by Mark; 04 December 2007, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jlward4th View Post
                  Right-click on the video, select settings, and turn off (or on) "Enable Hardware Acceleration". This update to Flash Player adds hardware acceleration for full screen video. If hardware acceleration isn't working in X then perhaps Flash Player is using X's software acceleration which is pretty slow. Let me know if that helps.

-James (Adobe)
                  Thanks for the suggestion. Turning on/off the hardware acceleration doesn't make any difference(I tried more than 5 times, with or without restart firefox). I am having the Nvidia 100.14.19 driver installed on my Thinkpad T61p(Quadro FX 570M), and glxinfo shows
                  Code:
                  direct rendering: Yes

I wanted to try the newest 169.04 driver to see if it makes difference, but it seems Envy hasn't included it yet.

Any other ideas?
                  Last edited by dickeywang; 04 December 2007, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Well it seems envy has a problem to be uptodate My nvidia script is usually working 5 min after I know of a new driver *g*

Comment

Working...
                    X