Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Your System Take A Dive With Linux 3.2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
    They already fixed that in V.
    I dont get what you want to say. As long as this is not unset in

U did nothing.

Comment

@Kano

Sorry I meant F. It's already fixed in F.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
        Did you notice that you dont have got an intel cpu? also for amd-v (the amd variant of vt-d for iommu) you need a 890fx or 9xx chipset which you did not mention.
        That isn't true, Kano. (about the amd-v requirements)

My AM3+ MOBO (has an nForce 980a SLI chipset) and it supports AMD-V just fine. (hell, my 'old' AM2 MOBO <2006> did too!). the option is available in the BIOS and enabled by default... * Lot's of AMD MOBO's support AMD-V (not just 8xx/9xx+ series), and the AMD-V technology pre-dates the AMD 800+ series chipsets by 3 years!

On May 23, 2006, AMD released the Athlon 64 ("Orleans"), the Athlon 64 X2 ("Windsor") and the Athlon 64 FX ("Windsor") as the first AMD processors to support this technology.

...While, the AMD 800 series chipsets were NOT released until 2009;

Furthermore, having an 890fx/9xx chipsets implies a CrossfireX capable MOBO... But obviously, not everyone is using those types of MOBOs (nvidia users? lol) and will most likely still have AMD-V (as support for it is quite common on modern AMD hardware).

Just thought i'd clarify that, as you implied that 'ONLY' CrossWireX-type 8xx/9xx+ chipset MOBO's from 2009(or newer) actually support AMD-V technology, which is completely wrong, on all accounts.

(ie: I buy AMD MOBOs + Nvidia GPUs and have been using AMD-V since it first became available, in mid 2006).

cheerz

Comment

Well what i meant is AMD-Vi to be exact. It is correct that AMD-V which is similar to vt-x does work with older chipsets.
          Last edited by Kano; 06 January 2012, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Looks like it's been taken care of in Ubuntu https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/precise...ux/3.2.0-10.17

* [Config] Disable CONFIG_INTEL_IOMMU_DEFAULT_ON

This was also affect systems with nvidia cards. If extra software was checking during install of 12.04, it would install the nvidia-173 binary and then system would turn off the display or turn purple and lock up after reboot, and would require intel_iommu=off.

Comment

xyzzyman, this is a problem with Intel chipsets/CPUs and not with graphics cards. Your chipset or CPU is to blame, no matter what graphics card you use.

By the way, are you really using an old GeForce PCX 4/5xxx graphics card with a modern Core i CPU? When using a newer card (from GeForce 6xxx on) you don't need the 173 driver, you can just install the most recent version.
              Last edited by AlbertP; 20 January 2012, 11:33 AM.

Comment

@xyzzyman

Well i showed this commit in the #ubuntu-kernel channel:

That convinced em that it was no NEW option but an OLD one just renamed and before it was disabled.

Comment

AlbertP,

I'm using a 9600M GS. I am currently running 295.10 nvidia driver. nvidia-173 just happens to be the one that ubuntu defaults to when you install 'extra sources' during install. It's a filed bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...rs/+bug/901386 (one of a few) that the 3.2 kernels were causing some people (Including a GTX560 which is not that old of a card and nvidia-173 is still pulled in by ubuntu) to have to do intel_iommu=off even with the new drivers. If you look at Kano's link you will see why Ubuntu suddenly started flipping out. The option was renamed and iommu was turned on by default when it traditionally hadn't. That's why I said the iommu issue ALSO affected systems with nvidia cards. I was disabling it manually in custom compiles but it sounds like Kano spoke to the right person to get it changed by default.

Kano,

THANK YOU. Even though you had them fix it for another regression from the change, this is a big fix that seemed to fly under the radar.

Comment

This was also only happening with nvidia binary drivers when in a deb package or installed from nvidia like v290 or v295. nouveau drivers weren't dying. Soon as the nvidia driver would kick in the display would turn off and the system would hard lock. No errors when viewing text output like the reported failure on phoronix. intel_iommu=off fixed our systems though.

Maybe it wouldn't have been a problem if I had an core ix cpu. Between ubuntuforums and launchpad bugs we'd only figured out it was intel specific but not how specific, but I'm just running a core2 duo t9400 so it supports VT which i have enabled (modified bios) as i run virtualbox, but it doesn't support iommu. Either way kano was right about the change in name and change of on from off causing the regressions, and someone at Ubuntu has taken care of it.

Which does bring up the question of this happening in other non-ubuntu distro's using a 3.2 kernel. Are they also turning this option on now suddenly or was it just assumed they had the same problem by the author of the article? EDIT: It was an assumption as he said 'likely' in others. I would have assumed the same also at first.
                    Last edited by xyzzyman; 20 January 2012, 04:12 PM.

Comment

I had that problem with i7-880 + gf 405 as well. did not try my i7-2600 with nv yet as i usually use it with low power cards without extra pci-e connector and that was the last one.

Comment

Working...
                      X