Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Display corruption with 8.42 and 8.43 (7.11)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Display corruption with 8.42 and 8.43 (7.11)

Greetings all.

I am getting occasional display corruption in the lower right area of my display, and occasionally around the mouse pointer.

This seems to occur after relatively graphics-intensive activities such as viewing a movie full-screen, etc.

PC is a Thinkpad T60 wide with 128mb X1400. Running 7.11 currently, installed via Envy. I am not using Compiz.

I'm wondering if this is related to temperature... it's the type of corruption I'd expect from a video core overheating.

ibm-acpi reports the GPU at 56 deg C at idle, which doesn't seem terribly high to me, but the temperature spikes higher when under load playing a video, to 60 C (or higher, 60 C is the limit of the sensor range according to the properties in the Gnome Sensors Applet).

I haven't experimented long enough to see how high it will go. I'll report back the next time the display corrupts and let you know what the temperature spiked to.

Has anyone experimented with the instructions at http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6522 to see what effect it has on GPU core temperatures, especially at idle?
    Last edited by Porter; 02 December 2007, 05:10 PM.

Setting "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" to "true" seems to be a workaround for this, at least for many people. I don't think it's an overheating problem.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      Setting "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" to "true" seems to be a workaround for this, at least for many people. I don't think it's an overheating problem.
      Where do I set it? Thanks for the info, by the way!

In my investigations on the temperature issue, it doesn't seem as though atieventsd is throttling the power state of the GPU in the same way as the driver does normally in Windows, leaving the GPU in the high power state all the time. This isn't proper, especially in a laptop where heat and power consumption are a concern. Does anyone have any information on how to configure the behavior of atieventsd?

Comment

Nevermind... found it goes in Xorg.conf. Thanks for the heads up.

Oh, and by the way... I found that when I run glxgears, I get about 4500 fps and GPU temp spikes to over 71 deg C (160 deg F) and climbing. I stopped it at 71. Is this normal for an X1400?
        Last edited by Porter; 02 December 2007, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X