Thread: Completely Open-Source Mobile Phone Coming @ CES

Default Completely Open-Source Mobile Phone Coming @ CES

As a heads up to you all, this note was added on a lunch invitation I received for CES:

Witness the unveiling of the world's first totally open Linux mobile phone.
    I am still working on more details, but this open-source Linux mobile cellular telephone is coming from VIA Technologies. If I get any more product details I'll try to pass them on (or just wait till next week).

Is this in any way related to the Qtopia Greenhone by Trolltech? I guess not since you said it was coming from VIA technologies, but it seems both of these phones would be competing for the same market. You can't buy the Trolltech phone at the moment for consumer use (only through a developer license or something), so VIA may be offering something that is more accessible.

Quote Originally Posted by joshuapurcell View Post
    Is this in any way related to the Qtopia Greenhone by Trolltech? I guess not since you said it was coming from VIA technologies, but it seems both of these phones would be competing for the same market. You can't buy the Trolltech phone at the moment for consumer use (only through a developer license or something), so VIA may be offering something that is more accessible.
    I don't think it's related to the Trolltech products since I don't recall hearing VIA working with them on the product.