Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeDOS 1.1 Released With Many Changes

Phoronix: FreeDOS 1.1 Released With Many Changes

For those that haven't heard yet, FreeDOS 1.1 has been released after being in development for several years...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I happen to have an old portable machine with a PCMCIA wired network card that has DOS drivers. Some time ago, I tried browsing the web with the ARACHNE browser under FreeDOS. I also connected to my Gentoo Linux machine using SSH. It was pure madness! In fact, even my PCMCIA wireless network card has DOS drivers but I wasn't crazy enough to try that.

Comment

FreeDOS is meant as a free software replacement to Microsoft's MS-DOS. FreeDOS is commonly good enough to be used for an environment from flashing your motherboard's BIOS, among other tasks.
      This 1234567890

Comment

I should also mention that as great as FreeDOS is, even on that ancient machine, I found that DOSEMU under Linux actually ran much faster. I guess it had the benefit of better underlying drivers.

Comment

Working...
        X