6850 on Ubuntu Oneiric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by susikala View Post
    back on track here, and Q, please stop hijacking the thread.

I'm really interested in buying this computer:

I want to run linux on it, specifically archlinux, but I'd even compromise on ubuntu it if gets better results. I'd like to play games both natively and in wine, i.e. say sims 3, but also newer stuff. Are my prospects good with fglrx / radeon, or am I likely to run into a lot of problems?

I've seen a lot of people here and elsewhere telling me to buy nvidia as it runs the best with wine etc., but I'd like to give a chance to a company that looks to me more dedicated to the foss movement.
    Yes, that system should work fine. Both the open source and the closed source drivers support that chip. If you need HDMI audio or OpenGL 4.x support you'll have to use fglrx for now. Other than that the open source driver should work fine.

Comment

Q... stop the flame

iam also disappointed that open drivers have many lacks

i dont use hdmi audio [dont even have digital receiver for audio] but it would be nice to have it works
      3d acceleration... my bad, cant play even quake live on 4850.... afraid it will never change
      video decoding ... my card is fast enough, but it would be nice to have low power usage while watching damn video...
      power management... always less powersaving than windows drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by susikala View Post
        back on track here, and Q, please stop hijacking the thread.

I'm really interested in buying this computer:

I've seen a lot of people here and elsewhere telling me to buy nvidia as it runs the best with wine etc., but I'd like to give a chance to a company that looks to me more dedicated to the foss movement.
        I never used a recent discrete AMD/ATI gpu with any flavour of linux. My only experience is with an integrated HD4200 (and a few years ago with a Radeon 9500Pro), and this particular gpu has some issues with Ubuntu's Unity, where it shows awful desktop performance (3D performance in fullscreen 3D-accelerated applications is ok, so if you only need it for games it should work just fine) making it almost impossible to do any kind of serious work. Others have reported the same issues with more powerful gpus, but if you think nVidia is the answer, think again because there have been similar reports from that side as well. These bugs should be fixed in the next ubuntu release. KDE's Kwin performance was also terrible last time I tried it (KDE 4.5). Gnome3 has a few issues like visual corruption of some elements of the desktop (using fglrx; with open source drivers it works perfectly). Basically with this GPU I have to use Unity2D if I want to get a usable desktop, because I really need the extra 3D performance of FGLRX. Oh, and don't think that nVidia is the silver bullet that cures all illnesses because there are bugs and shortcomings in there as well.

About Arch vs Ubuntu that all depends on what you want/need/expect from your system. Sure Arch has better performance but it also requires a lot more maintenance and care to keep it running smoothly. I gave up on Arch when, after a few months of constantly updating, my system was getting riddled with bugs that no one else was suffering from and packages were getting broken with missing/outdated dependencies and all that lovely business.

Comment

Originally posted by NomadDemon View Post
          Q... stop the flame

iam also disappointed that open drivers have many lacks

i dont use hdmi audio [dont even have digital receiver for audio] but it would be nice to have it works
          3d acceleration... my bad, cant play even quake live on 4850.... afraid it will never change
          video decoding ... my card is fast enough, but it would be nice to have low power usage while watching damn video...
          power management... always less powersaving than windows drivers.
          Quakelive performs fine for most people with the open source driver. I'm not sure what's wrong with your setup. As to the rest, we provide a binary Linux driver that supports all of that right now, so there are options to use just about every feature of the hardware you might want to use in Linux.

Comment

yea, fps is high, but there is frameskipping, very annoying while playing with bots/players, if i walk alone on map, its very ok.

low details reduce frames by 10
            vsynch doesnt help, turning it off also

my pc is

phenom II x4 810
            4 gb ram
            radeon 4850

its not weak rig, on closed drivers i can play ok, so it must be open drivers problem.

Comment

Working...
            X