6850 on Ubuntu Oneiric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6850 on Ubuntu Oneiric

I'm considering upgrading to 6850. Anyone know if it works fine out of the box (open drivers) on Ubuntu Oneiric 11.10? I don't care about 3D, except to the degree that Compiz does.

Or if you know 6870 works/doesn't, I'll take that too imply the same for 6850.

Alternatively, I might be persuaded to rely on fglrx, if it's possible to get real video acceleration without jumping through hoops - i.e. just installing packages from default repos. I have no idea what the state of that is.

Should work fine.

Comment

Not yet. (stupid 10 char...)

Comment

Thanks for that. I really appreciate it. You've added a lot of useful information to this thread. It's genuinely helpful to someone looking for help.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
          "NOT yet" vs "Should work fine."

maybe write it next time like this "should work fine.* *=NOT YET"
          The original poster asked about enough support to run Compiz. Response was "should work fine". A separate, completely different question was asked about HDMI audio, response was "not yet".

Wondering why the responses to two different questions need to be combined into a single answer in the first place.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
            for me a pc without sound is a broken pc. and its not "fine"
            Sure, but lack of HDMI audio doesn't mean a PC without sound, it means a PC without the ability to route the sounds to an HDMI-attached TV or audio system.
            Test signature

Comment

Hold on, are you claiming that *most* consumer users rely on an HDMI-attached TV for their only sound source ?

I know that *some* rely on HDMI audio for their only sound source (it's pretty much the standard HTPC config) but AFAIK most consumer users still either use built-in speakers (laptops, all-in-ones) or cheap external speakers.
              Test signature

Comment

Getting a bit side tracked I see...

I have no need for HDMI audio, so it should indeed work fine for my purposes. I use an analog sound system and/or a headset. That's certainly a requirement I would have mentioned, if I needed it.

Thanks for that info, agd5f.

Now anyone know about fglrx and video acceleration?
                Last edited by Otus; 06 January 2012, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Otus View Post
                  Now anyone know about fglrx and video acceleration?
                  The va-api/xvba wrapper from splitted desktop is a dead-end, although it was better than no acceleration and I'm glad the dev got a nice gig at Intel.
                  This article (and relevant discussion) should answer your question: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTAyODU[/code]

Comment

Seriously

Q, most desktop users have their audio through either the inbuilt motherboard audio, or a sound card which goes to their desktop speakers.

Talking about who said most or what and their meaning in therms of HTPC is irrelevant! Stop trying to make something out of nothing.

Anyhow, I could easily have audio on my TV from a VGA laptop by using a 3.5mm jack to White/Red audio ports cable, and those are cheap and easy to buy (You can also try ebay if you wish)

Comment

Working...
                    X