Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39

Thread: 6850 on Ubuntu Oneiric

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    48

    Question 6850 on Ubuntu Oneiric

    I'm considering upgrading to 6850. Anyone know if it works fine out of the box (open drivers) on Ubuntu Oneiric 11.10? I don't care about 3D, except to the degree that Compiz does.

    Or if you know 6870 works/doesn't, I'll take that too imply the same for 6850.

    Alternatively, I might be persuaded to rely on fglrx, if it's possible to get real video acceleration without jumping through hoops - i.e. just installing packages from default repos. I have no idea what the state of that is.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,279

    Default

    Should work fine.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by agd5f View Post
    Should work fine.
    and hdmi audio ?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,279

    Default

    Not yet. (stupid 10 char...)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by agd5f View Post
    Not yet. (stupid 10 char...)
    "NOT yet" vs "Should work fine."

    maybe write it next time like this "should work fine.* *=NOT YET"

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,279

    Default

    Thanks for that. I really appreciate it. You've added a lot of useful information to this thread. It's genuinely helpful to someone looking for help.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by agd5f View Post
    Thanks for that. I really appreciate it. You've added a lot of useful information to this thread. It's genuinely helpful to someone looking for help.
    yes sorry. i count this as a ironic phrase.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,285

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    "NOT yet" vs "Should work fine."

    maybe write it next time like this "should work fine.* *=NOT YET"
    The original poster asked about enough support to run Compiz. Response was "should work fine". A separate, completely different question was asked about HDMI audio, response was "not yet".

    Wondering why the responses to two different questions need to be combined into a single answer in the first place.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    The original poster asked about enough support to run Compiz. Response was "should work fine". A separate, completely different question was asked about HDMI audio, response was "not yet".

    Wondering why the responses to two different questions need to be combined into a single answer in the first place.
    for me a pc without sound is a broken pc. and its not "fine"

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto-ish
    Posts
    7,285

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    for me a pc without sound is a broken pc. and its not "fine"
    Sure, but lack of HDMI audio doesn't mean a PC without sound, it means a PC without the ability to route the sounds to an HDMI-attached TV or audio system.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •