Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE 4.0 Release Delayed To January '08

Phoronix: KDE 4.0 Release Delayed To January

KDE 4.0 was planned for release in time for Christmas, but the KDE community has decided to postpone this much-anticipated release until January. There are still some issues to be worked out with KDE 4.0 when it comes to visual glitches and other areas that do not currently meet KDE's quality standards.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

that's a good thing. i would delay it at least till june.

the deadline simply seems impossible.

Comment

Thank god for such decision! It was not ready for end-users, there are far too many glitches right now.

Comment

KDE 4.0 is not that unstable as you may think. Just don't try that KDE4 LiveCD, this one has a lot more bugs than when you do a clean installation of KDE 4.0.

Comment

@d2kx: I don't have liveCD, but current KDE snapshot (maybe day or two behind svn). Still it is far from complete enjoyable desktop experience. Problems like:
          - no pager (yes, there is a separate applet but there is no way to add it into panel)
          - no configuration interface for many things (kcontrol is almost empty comparing to kde3, adding applets to panels, adding new panels....)
          - plasma still crashes from time to time
          - sound server still doesn't react as fast as it should (using xine currently), sometimes it crashes

and few others I stumbled uppon. After ironing this stuff out, kde should be released, as for me they are free to delay it till next summer, but they shouldn't release it as stable with such defects, it will ruin KDE reputation among new users.

For me current KDE4 is entering beta phase, not RC. RC is like when you have fully usable software product with no major known bugs (not to be know to developers) and you ask users (testers) to take and test it for problems that needs to be fixed before final release.

Comment

KDE 4.0 is not that unstable as you may think
            but there are random crashes and a LOT of functionality is still unfinished.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
              but there are random crashes and a LOT of functionality is still unfinished.
              Indeed. Now I'm upgrading to yesterdays build of KDE4 to see if there is any progress from past days (huge update).

Comment

Working...
              X