No announcement yet.

Open-Source Versions Of BioWare 3D Game Engines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is pretty bad-ass. I've pointed it to a small group of game devs I know who are huge NWN fans (some of them still actively playing or working on NWN mods). Maybe that'll get a few more people on the project.

Admittedly I'm more interested in GemRB, as I enjoyed the Baldur's Gate games more than any other Bioware releases besides Mass Effect, but an Aurora engine rebuild opens the possibility for a lot of games that might otherwise be lost to the ages.

Comment

Now if only Bioware had the sense to release source code and make this whole process a whole lot easier...

Comment

Originally posted by del_diablo View Post
        Lets not forget that the NWN engine is also the Kotor engine, which also means we could be looking at ARM ports in several years if the project succeds.
        That would be... amazing

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
          Now if only Bioware had the sense to release source code and make this whole process a whole lot easier...
          If only Bioware had anything at all to do with such a decision. Bioware does not own the rights to the NWN/NWN2/Kotor code, assets, or licenses. They developed the games under contract with their publishers (as is the case with almost all non-indie games). Atari is the primary rights holder, while all of the D&D-specific stuff in the code or assets is under license from WotC/Hasbro.

Comment

source code wise i think bioware could release it without any impediment though because they are owned by EA, i think that won't happen unless EA changes its mind to become tiny little bit more linux friendly...

Comment

One advantage of a new NWN engine is that it can have functioning movie clips on Linux (since FFMPEG supports the relevant Bink Video codecs AFAIK) which the official client does not have (because Bioware didn't want to pay the license for the Linux version of Bink I believe)

Comment

Originally posted by jonwil View Post
                One advantage of a new NWN engine is that it can have functioning movie clips on Linux (since FFMPEG supports the relevant Bink Video codecs AFAIK) which the official client does not have (because Bioware didn't want to pay the license for the Linux version of Bink I believe)
                Though you've been able to use nwmovies with the official client for some time: http://home.roadrunner.com/~nwmovies/

Comment

What's funny is I watched the new trailer to diablo3 and thought "wow, that looks a lot like neverwinter nights!"

Yes, this game coudl find life on arm platforms. etc.

Comment

How hard would it be to update nwnmovies to use FFMPEG to play the Bink Video directly (now that FFMPEG has a Bink decoder) instead of needing to use the closed-source binary Rad Game Tools player?

Comment

Originally posted by jonwil View Post
                      How hard would it be to update nwnmovies to use FFMPEG to play the Bink Video directly (now that FFMPEG has a Bink decoder) instead of needing to use the closed-source binary Rad Game Tools player?
                      Haven't tried it yet, but it should be trivial. nwmovies runs a perl script each time the game requests a movie. That script already supports using mplayer or plaympeg, and would be fairly easy to modify if you knew what you wanted to run with which arguments.

(The script is /nwmovies/nwmovies.pl)

Comment

Working...
                      X