Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• libdce: The Distributed Codec Engine

Phoronix: libdce: The Distributed Codec Engine

For those who became more interested in the PandaBoard ES after it was benchmarked on Phoronix last week, here's some details about the Distributed Codec Engine found on this OMAP4 platform from Texas Instruments...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So what's XDM (I'm guessing it's not the X window manager) and what is difficult in setting up libdce?

Comment

no, in this context xdm is nothing to do w/ x11.. it is a sort of codec interface:

in the case of OMAP4, codecs are running remotely on coprocessor, and libdce is exposing that to linux/userspace. gst-ducati is a related project, gstreamer plugins which the codec engine to provide accelerated decoding to gst apps.

Comment

btw Michael, you probably want to point folks at:

The github tree is sort of my personal development tree.. ie. it will probably be up to date whenever I happen to be hacking on libdce, but not guaranteed to be up to date all the time.

re: setting up libdce.. at least with ubuntu it is hopefully easy because everything is packaged in a PPA:

Also some instructions here:

something like vaapi bindings might be interesting to extend support for hw beyond just gstreamer apps (like totem), but there are some mismatches between how our hw works and vaapi/vdpau that I haven't figured out how to deal with yet. (vaapi/vdpau are both vld/slice-mode APIs but our hw codecs expect to parse non-slice nals as well)

Comment

btw Michael, you probably want to point folks at:

The github tree is sort of my personal development tree.. ie. it will probably be up to date whenever I happen to be hacking on libdce, but not guaranteed to be up to date all the time.

re: setting up libdce.. at least with ubuntu it is hopefully easy because everything is packaged in a PPA:

Also some instructions here:

something like vaapi bindings might be interesting to extend support for hw beyond just gstreamer apps (like totem), but there are some mismatches between how our hw works and vaapi/vdpau that I haven't figured out how to deal with yet. (vaapi/vdpau are both vld/slice-mode APIs but our hw codecs expect to parse non-slice nals as well)

Comment

Working...
          X