RadeonHD 1.0.0 Driver Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jealma View Post
    Hi, I've managed to install RadeonHD version 1.0.0 on Kubuntu, but I'd also like to try it on Arch Linux. Does anyone know what packages I need to install for autogen.sh to complete successfully? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Judging from the ebuild on Gentoo Bugzilla you will need these packages (those are Gentoo names, they might be named different on your distro) and their header (normally -dev,-devel packages:
    Code:
    x11-proto/randrproto
    x11-proto/renderproto
    x11-proto/videoproto
    x11-proto/xextproto
    x11-base/xorg-server
    x11-proto/xproto
    x11-proto/fontsproto
    Of course you will also need the stuff to compile them, that should be glibc, gcc, binutils and their headers.

Comment

Originally posted by Berniyh View Post
      Judging from the ebuild on Gentoo Bugzilla you will need these packages (those are Gentoo names, they might be named different on your distro) and their header (normally -dev,-devel packages:
      Code:
      x11-proto/randrproto
      x11-proto/renderproto
      x11-proto/videoproto
      x11-proto/xextproto
      x11-base/xorg-server
      x11-proto/xproto
      x11-proto/fontsproto
      Of course you will also need the stuff to compile them, that should be glibc, gcc, binutils and their headers.
      Thank you very very much. On Arch, with pacman I found every single package you mentioned. Only "problem" is that I cannnot find dev or devel-versions of those packages. I will try to compile the RadeonHD driver with those packages and I'll report back.

Comment

Originally posted by jealma View Post
        Thank you very very much. On Arch, with pacman I found every single package you mentioned. Only "problem" is that I cannnot find dev or devel-versions of those packages. I will try to compile the RadeonHD driver with those packages and I'll report back.
        I don't really know about arch, but I think I remember, that they compile some stuff on their own. If you do that you get the headers automatically.
        Extra header packages are only needed for distros that come with binary packages and don't install the headers by default. This is the case for Suse, Ubuntu, Debian etc.

Comment

RadeonHD on Arch Linux

Hi. I'm running RadeonHD on Arch Linux right now. All the packages you mentioned were already installed, but autogen.sh still wouldn't run, some unknown error I didn't write down. Guess what, in AUR (Arch User Repository) I found a PKGBUILD that fetches the latest RadeonHD-sources from GIT and then compiles them. It complained about not having the package "xorg-util-macros" and asked whether I wanted to install that package. Anyway, http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.ph...phans=0&SeB=nd is the link to the PKGBUILD I used.

First, do "pacman -S base-devel" to install some compiling stuff. Then fetch the PKGBUILD from the above link and put it in "/var/abs/local". Use "tar zxf xf86-video-radeonhd-git.tar.gz" and then "cd xxf86-video-radeonhd-git" to enter the directory. Issue "makepkg -s" to build the package. If any other packages are missing, makepkg will report those and offer to install them. After makepkg is finished, there's another file, called "xf86-video-radeonhd-git-20071106-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz" which can be installed with "pacman -U xf86-video-radeonhd-git-20071106-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz". The only thing you then need to do is edit "/etc/X11/xorg.conf" and use "radeonhd" as your videodriver.

In short:
          • pacman -S base-devel
          • mkdir /var/abs/local
          • cd /var/abs/local
          • wget http://aur.archlinux.org/packages/xf...nhd-git.tar.gz
          • tar zxf xf86-video-radeonhd-git.tar.gz
          • cd xf86-video-radeonhd-git
          • makepkg -s
          • pacman -U xf86-video-radeonhd-git-20071106-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz
          • nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf (change driver to "radeonhd")

Comment

Kudos, great work! It is really amazing how fast this driver was developed and how well it already works. I installed it under Ubuntu Gutsy using "checkinstall" to package it first, so I can properly uninstall it later. What never happened before with fglrx, suspend and hibernate are working flawlessly for me now

No more need for fglrx here, 2D works just fine with my X1900XT in 1600x1200@60hz. Fonts look a bit different to me, but quality is fine. Playing videos using mplayer (mplayer -vo x11 -zoom) also works nice (although it causes heavy cpu load - I don't care for now). One thing I didn't manage is to setup gstreamer to use software scaling for fullscreen play. Any idea what I have to setup as videosink in gstreamer-properties?

Comment

Cool, while 2D/3D accel are missing, i am actually wondering about when/if they will add TV/Component out, which i use heavily on my linux machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                Erik_N: Did you try adding the PCI ID for the card manually?
                Hmm, I must be doing something wrong when I try to add it to rhd_id.c.. how do I add the pci id exactly?

Comment

Originally posted by Dandel View Post
                  Cool, while 2D/3D accel are missing, i am actually wondering about when/if they will add TV/Component out, which i use heavily on my linux machine.
                  They'll support it.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Back to my scaling problem, it should work out of the box, but there is a bug in gstreamer0.10-pitfdll. An updated package for Gutsy is availiable within the according launchpad entry and it fixed the problem for me: Click!

Comment

For Mandriva users: the Mandriva radeonhd package is regularly updated, and uploaded to the /main/backports repository for Mandriva Linux 2008. If you're running 2008 and you'd like to try this version of the driver, enable the /main/backports repository - see http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Docs/Bas...ions_available and http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Docs/Bas...didate_updates - and install the 'x11-driver-video-radeonhd' and 'ldetect-lst' packages from it. Then run the graphics card configuration tool, re-select your card group (probably 'ATI Radeon X1300 and later'), and say 'no' when asked if you want to use the proprietary driver. This should make it use the radeonhd driver. Then just restart X.

Comment

Working...
                      X