No announcement yet.

RadeonHD 1.0.0 Driver Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I just added the driver to the Kanotix repository, it compiled fine on Debian etch. I just can not test it. When you use Kanotix Thorhammer use:

[for live mode: fix-unionfs]

apt-get update
    apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-radeonhd

and change /etc/X11/xorg.conf to radeonhd.

Comment

I may be self-delusional, but my early impression is that most things are way faster with the radeonHD driver than they were with FGLRX 7.11 (on Ubuntu 7.10).

Comment

Not delusional

Originally posted by rbmorse View Post
        I may be self-delusional, but my early impression is that most things are way faster with the radeonHD driver than they were with FGLRX 7.11 (on Ubuntu 7.10).
        I completely agree, RadeonHD is much more comfortable than Catalyst 7.11. Of course RadeonHD has no 2d/3d acceleration, no AIGLX, no compositing, no TV-out and no Xv-support but it is still fast when scrolling in firefox or when drawing rectangles on your desktop.

edit: ow, and did I mention that it is more stable than Catalyst 7.11? After only a few minutes, 7.11 would crash my Xserver and I couldn't get it up again until reboot. RadeonHD has run smoothly for hours now

Comment

Hey guys I installed radeonhd using ABS (Arch Build System) but I can't use it, it can't find the module. That's what I get:
          Code:
          [root@hammer nognir]# modprobe radeonhd
          FATAL: Module radeonhd not found.
          Any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by Nognir View Post
            Hey guys I installed radeonhd using ABS (Arch Build System) but I can't use it, it can't find the module. That's what I get:
            Code:
            Any suggestions?
            Why do you want to load a kernel module?
            This driver doesn't provide one.

Comment

Code:
              Any suggestions?
              Hey. I've explained all the necessary steps to install RadeonHD on Arch in reply 14 of this topic. You said that you had installed the module from ABS. Have you installed the driver using "pacman -U radeonhd-blabla.pkg.tar.gz" after issuing "makepkg -s" ? If not, then you have compiled the driver but have not yet installed it.
              By the way, did you replace the existing videodriver in /etc/X11/xorg.conf with "radeonhd"?
              Last edited by jealma; 02 December 2007, 12:09 PM.

Comment

I did all that, now I'm back without fglrx, but glxinfo shows that:
                Code:
                OpenGL vendor string: Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org
                OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
                OpenGL version string: 1.4 (2.1 Mesa 7.0.1)
                That's the fallback, right? What do I do from now on?

Comment

I did all that, now I'm back without fglrx, but glxinfo shows that:
                  Code:
                  OpenGL vendor string: Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org
                  OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
                  OpenGL version string: 1.4 (2.1 Mesa 7.0.1)
                  That's the fallback, right? What do I do from now on?
                  That is not the fallback but as it should be. Remember that the RadeonHD-driver does not yet have 3d accelleration and you will see Mesa as OpelGL version string. If /etc/X11/xorg.conf contains "radeonhd" in the driver-line, you are successfully running RadeonHD. It is however in a very early state of development, and is not yet suited for production use.

Comment

It just crushed on glxgears. Not supposed to happen?

Comment

It just crushed on glxgears. Not supposed to happen?
                      glxgears needs opengl and as stated above radeonhd doesn't support that yet.

Comment

Working...
                      X