RadeonHD 1.0.0 Driver Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ebay took my X1900XT away

Too bad, I have to buy a new card and despite the powerful 8800GT I would prefer a HD3870 because of power consumption and *fanfare* AMD's Linux policy.

My X1900XT had a 2D profile for voltage and clock rates within its BIOS which were loaded by default on system startup, so IDLE power consumption under Linux was compareable to Windows. Unfortunately I couldn't find reviews addressing power consumption of RV670 boards under Linux or telling how it works in general on the new cards. Are the new "Power Play" functions driver dependent and if so, will RadeonHD support them soon?

Thanks in advance
    puntarenas

Comment

Originally posted by Malikith View Post
      I can't wait until theres 3d acceleration, I think I'll have to pick me up a new ATI card when the 3d matures.
      Same here. Have there been any estimates of when this should be? Are we talking like months, or years?

Comment

Originally posted by VCSkier View Post
        Same here. Have there been any estimates of when this should be? Are we talking like months, or years?
        Months for early development 3D.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          Months for early development 3D.
          Thanks for the quick response.

I know this is all highly speculative at this point, but I'm quite excited about being able to get a new graphics card that runs well on Free drivers.

So are we expecting mature 3D support by April, in time for the next round of Major Distribution releases? Or will the maturation of the code probably require more time?

Comment

I guess they already work on something like 2D or 3D acceleration, because (again) there have been not a single commit for several days now.

Comment

Originally posted by VCSkier View Post
              So are we expecting mature 3D support by April, in time for the next round of Major Distribution releases? Or will the maturation of the code probably require more time?
              I don't think there will be *mature* support for 3D before the middle of the next year. So maybe in the autumn series of distribution releases there might be usable open 3D support in the open drivers for r500+. I think the first basic support (that is usable 2D acceleration, glxgears does start, and works with acceleration, not only in software mode) might be out in ppril, but I would not bet on it.

Comment

Yay, radeonhd 1.0.0 works fine on Mandriva with my X1950 Pro. glxinfo works right, scrolling truly is less sticky than with fglrx, and even glxgears works, though with software rendering, of course. Now could someone instruct me how to use the conntest utility...? I didn't find anything useful with Google.

Comment

Just tried the driver. It's good for basic use. Much quicker when switching to a vt and for general screen redraws. Can't wait for the fully functional driver! Hopefully then I can kiss goodbye to fglrx.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzymurray View Post
                    Just a quick question. After installing the radeonhd drivers, should they show up in the list when running "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg"?

Apologies if I have derailed the discussion, I will not be offended if a mod moves this to thread of its own.
                    You would expect to, but it doesn't. Worth filing a bug report!

Comment

Working...
                    X