Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with dualhead

Hello,

I recently bought a motherboard ASUS P5E-VM HDMI with G35 chipset. The board got onboard vga and hdmi connectors. The vga-port works great (bios/boot/X) out of the box with the intel-driver. The hdmi with the supplied hdmi-dvi adapter didnt work at all when using a dvi-vga adapter (obviously hdmi is digital only, correct me here if im wrong), nor in bios and neither on boot.

If I instead use a dvi-d cable with the hdmi-dvi adapter bios/boot works great (even dual with the vga connected to) but now is where the problem starts .... X .... no matter what resolution I use my LCD-monitor (connected to the hdmi-port) replys with "OUT OF RANGE", I've tried like 20 differend modelines from 800x600 up to 1280x1024 (that is the native resolution for the monitor) and all of them produces the "OUT OF RANGE". The monitor is a Compaq 1720.

Even when the only connected monitor is the LCD to the hdmi and boot mythbuntu 7.10 live-cd I keep getting "OUT OF RANGE" when X loads, boot works great.

Is there anything more special one need to consider when using a digital connection to a monitor besides resolution/refreshrates ?

bumping this one.

I replaced my LCD-monitor with my projector (panasonic pt-ae500) and got picture on it so I guess the lcd is too old or something.

But another wierd problem appeard with the projector connected. When I start up gdm I have correct pixel-mapped reolution to the projector but after a couple of minutes the signal to the projector is "cut" and I have to restart X to get it back.

Another strange thing is that if I skip gdm and instead start X manually (startx) I get no signal to the projector at all, with no changes made to xorg.conf.

Can this be something with the intel-driver?

Comment

You could update the intel driver. But to answer your first question: the digital connector should be DVI-D (Dual Link). Best compare it to the pictures here:

It misses the 4 analog pins (then it would be DVI-I).

Comment

Its a DVI-D.
        Hmm ok i'll try updating the intel-driver.

Comment

When you want to stay with Ubuntu you have to update to hardy.

Comment

But the current build of hardy is in early alpha stage ... wonder if I mythtv (and everything around) will work properly?

Comment

Well, as long as you require precompiled packages you need to update to xserver 1.4, which is not in gutsy.

Comment

Anyone knows if there is some kind of log of the X system, like '/var/log/messages' ?

There must be some log or something when the signal is beeing cut to the projector.

Comment

Originally posted by kuse View Post
                  Anyone knows if there is some kind of log of the X system, like '/var/log/messages' ?

There must be some log or something when the signal is beeing cut to the projector.
                  you mean like '/var/log/Xorg.0.log' ?

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post
                    you mean like '/var/log/Xorg.0.log' ?
                    Well that log stops logging after X has started right? My problem occurs after X has started.

Comment

Working...
                    X