GNOME Is Still A Ways Off From 10% Goal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
    Phoronix is the most flame fueled linux site on this planet. And we cant have flames without triggering head lines. So please just accept this.
    ... followed by:

Then lets move on to the subject. GNOME failing its goal. Well since the linux desktop is failing hard it means that every desktop is failing. It is fair to point at GNOME since it is the biggest and best linux desktop. Im looking forward to testing betas for the coming spring distribution releases. IMO GNOME is getting quite good and version 3.4 looks even better.

Those who want the workflow of win95 can go with KDE. The stability is about the same as win95 also.
    Here's somebody who practices what he preaches!

Comment

Lol. I have to tell a very funny anecdote. I actually read this worthless article and went over to https://live.gnome.org/10x10 and read that page too.

Then I got down to the "How We Will Get There" section and read the first suggestion:

DavidNielsen : I would like to propose that we follow the excellent example set forth by the Firefox users and setup some sort of momentum user portal, let's for sake of argument call it SpreadGNOME.org, here we could list users who were willing to, for free, demonstrate GNOME at local schools, companies, community centers and the likes. The site could also provide useful documents for these presenters, news about upcoming GNOME features, Interviews, Press releases, in short give GNOME a human face. I presume one could use the GnomeLiveCd to do the demonstrations to get uniform look and feel for the actual GNOME desktop.
      And me, in all my curiosity and naivity, copied the spreadgnome.org link to the address bar and hit return.

Now I leave you, dear readers, to see yourselves where this story ends, certainly not far from where it's begun. This site is getting more crappy each day that goes by.

Comment

The problem with GNOME, and KDE for that matter, is that there simply isn't a value proposition there. Consumers don't switch to a new and different product (even a free one) for no reason. GNOME and KDE innovate very haphazardly and with poor quality-control. If KDE were less buggy, it would be a credible replacement for Windows 7. Alas, that isn't enough. It has to be *better*. I don't see a way to do that on the present path.

That's why I'm interested in more experimental/unusual deskop environments like Enlightenment and Etoile.

Comment

Originally posted by susikala View Post
          Lol. I have to tell a very funny anecdote. I actually read this worthless article and went over to https://live.gnome.org/10x10 and read that page too.

Then I got down to the "How We Will Get There" section and read the first suggestion:

And me, in all my curiosity and naivity, copied the spreadgnome.org link to the address bar and hit return.

Now I leave you, dear readers, to see yourselves where this story ends, certainly not far from where it's begun. This site is getting more crappy each day that goes by.
          yip, that is why my last post congratulated phoronix on being one giant troll.

This is top shelf 100 proof trolling.

Comment

lolwtfphoronix? Bwahahahaha!

Comment

Well played Larabel, well played indeed...

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
                Their desktop is like a special needs kid, except it actually is their fault that it's so retarded, so you don't have to feel guilty about ridiculing it. I kind of want to play dodgeball with it, just for the lulz.
                Eventually, the kid will either end up curled up in the fetal position so that you feel like a giant asshole, or s/he'll end up impervious to your attacks. Either way, you end up feeling mean and/or retarded yourself, so find something better to do with your time/energy.

Comment

Well they blew that!

"GNOME Is Still A Ways Off From 10% Goal"
                  They should have focused on making Gnome 2 faster and less Buggy. Instead of moving Menus around and other stupid needless shit. They lost two more users its off to LXDE for me.

Comment

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
                    I'll never understand why Michael spends so much time telling others how badly they've failed to meet their goals.
                    Ambition is fine. Delirious ambition with pie-in-the-sky goals and no real plan go get there that's even remotely realistic, that makes for a good lulz story. It's like a person with a $50k/year job saying he'll be a millionaire in two years and when you ask him how, it's "Ummm bake sale?" That Phoronix also does the "Still no [feature]" articles on teams that haven't promised anything in terms of features or progress is more annoying, but it's a free press. Boasting is usually inversely proportional to delivering anyway, making claims are the easy part. Making it happen is the hard part. 10%, that's bigger than Apple. Any even remotely supporting evidence they've done any market research to figure out what that would take compared to what they can deliver? To me it sounds like a number that was pulled out of someone's ass.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                      Eventually, the kid will either end up curled up in the fetal position so that you feel like a giant asshole
                      First, I already stretched that metaphor further than one should have, and now you've just taken it into the realm of absurdity. Software does not and cannot invoke pity in any sensible human being.

Second, I already know and warn friends "IRL" that I'm an asshole, so that's not really much of a deterrent anyway. I'd much rather be the asshole than be one of the politically correct dipshits that let the ship sink because it's considered improper or impolite to point out that the captain is an incompetent moron.

Here's hoping GNOME curls up in a fetal position sooner rather than later.

And then here's hoping something rises from the ashes that isn't infected with the current designer cult's stupidity.

Comment

Working...
                      X