GNOME Is Still A Ways Off From 10% Goal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
    Those who want the workflow of win95 can go with KDE. The stability is about the same as win95 also.
    Hey, win95 was more stable than kde4 :P

Comment

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
      Phoronix is the most flame fueled linux site on this planet. And we cant have flames without triggering head lines. So please just accept this.

Then lets move on to the subject. GNOME failing its goal. Well since the linux desktop is failing hard it means that every desktop is failing. It is fair to point at GNOME since it is the biggest and best linux desktop. Im looking forward to testing betas for the coming spring distribution releases. IMO GNOME is getting quite good and version 3.4 looks even better.
      Default Gnome is crap compared to KDE and everything else. The most stupid thing in the gnome camp is they ignore other DE's and systems. They think people will start using Gnome from beginning, but that's total nonsense. Most people are growing on Windows and KDE does wonderful job here, because it's similar in some way, but offers much more. When we compare Gnome to KDE or Windows or Mac it looses badly in nearly every thing.

Those who want the workflow of win95 can go with KDE. The stability is about the same as win95 also.
      Nope, KDE offers much more than Win7 and when you want something unstable use Gnome3 with gnome shell. I hope you didn't miss all this crash reports?

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
        lolwtfphoronix? Bwahahahaha!
        Many years ago I had started work on a GNOME news site... When that faded away I offered transferring the spreadGNOME.org domain gratis to the GNOME Foundation, but they weren't interested.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          the spreadGNOME.org domain gratis to the GNOME Foundation
          Wow Spanglish.

Michael is right http://www.plotip.com/domain/spreadgnome.org 6 years, how old is that wiki page?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            Many years ago I had started work on a GNOME news site... When that faded away I offered transferring the spreadGNOME.org domain gratis to the GNOME Foundation, but they weren't interested.
            A redirect to gnome.org seems much more approproate to me though (unless this is some kind of spurnt lover's game).

Comment

Originally posted by alazar View Post
              Wow Spanglish.

Michael is right http://www.plotip.com/domain/spreadgnome.org 6 years, how old is that wiki page?
              Approximately as recent as the 10% goal. Michael Knew this however, and still published an article. Is that ignorance or malice?

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
              A redirect to gnome.org seems much more approproate to me though (unless this is some kind of spurnt lover's game).
              When considered in conjunction with the GNOME survey, it feels like the actions of a spurned lover to me.
              Last edited by nzjrs; 02 January 2012, 01:49 PM.

Comment

My feeling is that there were a small number of ambitious developers who thought they would be able to write and support some of KDE's big frameworks like Nepomuk, expecting other developers to hop on board. In reality either nobody was interested or nobody understands them (at least in part because the documentation is so poor, and semantic web technology being a bit of a niche skill), and the result is some big components with just a couple guys working on them in their spare time. So really it's a couple parts of KDE that cause a lot of user frustration which unfortunately reflects badly upon the entire project.

Comment

For the life of me I don't understand why a number of posters here, who clearly don't use Gnome, who clearly have a problem with the existance of gtk, who don't like the ideas behind the entire project, continue to spam Gnome related articles.
                  Perhaps if something new were to be said rather than "it's retarded", or "you can't get REAL work done on it" the comments might have some worth.
                  These kinds of things are really getting old and I don't like having to wade through these kinds of predictable and worthless comments in order to find something of interest.
                  So, in the interests of helping this issue, I suggest you make a separate thread called, "Why I hate Gnome" (asuming it doesn't already exist), and whenever you feel the need to post these same sorts of things, run over to that thread and write whatever you want (IN ALL CAPS IF IT MAKES YOU FEEL BETTER). I;m sure it will be cathartic, and hopefully spare your loved ones from what seems like uncontrollable behavior. I can only imagine the haranging of "Did you see what those idiots at Gnome did this time?!!".
                  Please, for the health of both these forums and your family, consider using the Hate Thread.
                  Think of the children.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                    For the life of me I don't understand why a number of posters here, who clearly don't use Gnome, who clearly have a problem with the existance of gtk, who don't like the ideas behind the entire project, continue to spam Gnome related articles.
                    Perhaps if something new were to be said rather than "it's retarded", or "you can't get REAL work done on it" the comments might have some worth.
                    These kinds of things are really getting old and I don't like having to wade through these kinds of predictable and worthless comments in order to find something of interest.
                    So, in the interests of helping this issue, I suggest you make a separate thread called, "Why I hate Gnome" (asuming it doesn't already exist), and whenever you feel the need to post these same sorts of things, run over to that thread and write whatever you want (IN ALL CAPS IF IT MAKES YOU FEEL BETTER). I;m sure it will be cathartic, and hopefully spare your loved ones from what seems like uncontrollable behavior. I can only imagine the haranging of "Did you see what those idiots at Gnome did this time?!!".
                    Please, for the health of both these forums and your family, consider using the Hate Thread.
                    Think of the children.
                    +1 Insightful

I use Gnome 3 on a daily basis doing bioinformatics programming and development on a big 27" inch iMac and a W500 Thinkpad, I have it running on an HTPC as well as a small Ideapad netbook. Gnome Shell scales pretty well across all these computers and since the recent explosion of extensions such as an icon for recently used items and window tiling, I am having a good time doing serious work as well as casual desktop stuff. Every now and then, I forget that I should not and make the mistake of looking at Gnome related news here on Phoronix and naively expect to find the high quality news reporting and discussion I am used to in the graphics and open source AMD sections. Only to find hate and whining. Please take that discussion somewhere else if you have nothing to say about the actual topic.

Yes, Gnome 3 is far from perfect but many things are nice and interesting. The performance of the Clutter/Mutter/Metacity/Gnome Shell UI blows Kwin/Plasma out of the water. KDE often feels unbelievably sluggish in comparison. The Javascript extensions in Gnome 3 are awesome and remind me of the good old dockapps more than the plasmoids ever did. Bluetooth, Wifi management and Volume controls are much more convenient than any implementation I have seen in KDE. KDE sure has other strenghts, such as KIO slaves, a much better file dialog and Dolphin is far better than Nautilus in all respects that I can think of.

Perhaps this is only me but I generally find that Gnome and GTK apps have better usability and a more streamlined and to-the-point UI than the Qt counterparts (for instance, Shotwell vs Digikam [both of which I love]). I am also rarely disappointed with the performance of GTK apps but often so with Qt apps. I find it curious that GTK, being the supposedly lesser toolkit, seems to foster great apps such as Chromium, Inkscape, Shotwell, Firefox, Thunderbird, The Gimp etc whereas the Qt side of things have a tendency to get stuck at infrastructure plumbing and overly complex ideas about UIs and outside of KDE, rarely deliver brilliant apps. To me at least, it seems like GTK developers have a more user-centric mindset whereas Qt devs are more technology driven. I do not think this has changed with Gnome 3, although the UI is different. The whole experience is pleasant and highly addictive imho.

The question really is if *any* free desktop environment ever can reach 10% and if so, what kind of user experience that would have to be to attract *new* users and not just fight over current GNU/Linux geeks. Copying Windows or OS X hasn't really worked so far. I actually think Gnome is on the right track of creating a distinctive desktop that can go mainstream. However, I sadly do not think it will happen without dedicated vendor support that preinstalls it on attractive devices that truly differentiate themselves hardware-wise and lets the desktop piggyback on it.

What kind of devices would those be? We know that Linux can power any kind of mass consumer devices, ranging from ereaders to living room streaming media players and NAS boxes. How about a small laptop with spontaneous mesh networking, deeply integrated privacy and crypto coupled with nice sharing services to organically build free flowing local neighborhood networks operating parallel to ISPs coupled with better radio hardware and range than any of the stuff we normally have in laptops and desktops? To ever reach 10% I think we need to create a new niche and wow people with something they have not seen before. If the goal really is to reach 10%, is there is any company dedicated enough to do with Gnome 3 or any free desktop what Google is doing with Android or Apple with OS X and iOS?

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                      Think of the children.
                      I think the reason that GNOME catches so much hate now is that people have come to expect better of them, since GNOME had a long-standing reputation for stability and performance, and other DEs like KDE and e17 are perpetually in a half-baked state where you're supposed to understand that most the features won't work and shouldn't be enabled.

Back in the GNOME2 days, it really was a great desktop environment that had good performance with any supported compositor. GNOME3 is just entirely too broken on too many configurations, with a negligible benefit over GNOME2.

Comment

Working...
                      X