Ageia's PhysX Delaying UT3 For Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linux binaries of PhysX

The article is mistaken, even given the date it was published. There are binaries for PhysX on the developer site for linux. They are pretty broken, but they do exist. We have license, much to my chagrin, and can release applications on linux that use Ageia. I'm not sure why Epic would be having problems.

Also, you DO need the physics to run a server. I'm not sure why anyone would think you don't. You still have to simulate the interactions in the world, which requires physics.

Comment

Originally posted by LEgregius View Post
      The article is mistaken, even given the date it was published. There are binaries for PhysX on the developer site for linux. They are pretty broken, but they do exist. We have license, much to my chagrin, and can release applications on linux that use Ageia. I'm not sure why Epic would be having problems.
      Heh... I believe that I basically said that. Thanks for confirmation thereof, it's definitely appreciated.

Also, you DO need the physics to run a server. I'm not sure why anyone would think you don't. You still have to simulate the interactions in the world, which requires physics.
      Depends on your game model- and why would you need it on the client side if it's on the server as the server is doing the bulk of the critical stuff on it's side of things?

1) The bulk of the physics stuff is special effects, which is where the boost really needs to be- don't need that on the server.

2) Most of the games that I had the code to didn't manage anything other than a software event processing, model tracking, and rules enforcement bus system for the clients. The real load lifting wasn't ON the server. The server's a simple thing in many of the games that I've seen the code to.
      Last edited by Svartalf; 03 December 2007, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LEgregius View Post
        We have license, much to my chagrin, and can release applications on linux that use Ageia.
        So, what studio do you work for and what title would you be doing?

Comment

Working...
        X