Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions regarding TV-out capabilities (TV-PC range, V-Sync, audio)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions regarding TV-out capabilities (TV-PC range, V-Sync, audio)

Hi all,

I am planning to buy a budget card that will be used with a screen on dvi and a tv on hdmi as a dual-screen setup.
    I am currently using a nvidia but it doesn't support hdmi audio (I am using a DVI-HDMI adapter), and I would like to give ATI with open source driver a try with an HD 5450 or an HD 6450.

My main concerns are :
    - can I set the range of the hdmi output to TV range (16-235) ?
    - can I have V-Sync syncing with my tv so I don't have tearing (XVideo and OpenGL if possible) ?
    - does HDMI audio works fine with those cards and open source driver ?

I can fulfill almost all this requirements with the closed-source nvidia driver on KDE.
    Unfortunately OpenGL V-Sync on TV works only if I put my TV on my first DVI port with my DVI-HDMI adapter and my screen on the second DVI port, and I fear to loose this capability when being forced to use the HDMI port of a new hypothetical nvidia card (if someone have an answer for that too...).

Thanks for your answers.
    Last edited by MatMaul; 30 December 2011, 08:32 AM.

Originally posted by MatMaul View Post
    Hi all,

I am planning to buy a budget card that will be used with a screen on dvi and a tv on hdmi as a dual-screen setup.
    I am currently using a nvidia but it doesn't support hdmi audio (I am using a DVI-HDMI adapter), and I would like to give ATI with open source driver a try with an HD 5450 or an HD 6450.

My main concerns are :
    - can I set the range of the hdmi output to TV range (16-235) ?
    AFAIK no.

- can I have V-Sync syncing with my tv so I don't have tearing (XVideo and OpenGL if possible) ?
    yes

- does HDMI audio works fine with those cards and open source driver ?
    no

Comment

Thanks, I'm sticking on nvidia blob for the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
        AFAIK no.

yes

no
        The HD 4x and HD 5x series should work with hdmi audio and the free driver. Just not the HD6x series.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilfred View Post
          The HD 4x and HD 5x series should work with hdmi audio and the free driver. Just not the HD6x series.
          6x and 7x series Radeons do not support HDMI audio yet. Waiting for a code drop...

Comment

Originally posted by Laughing1 View Post
            6x and 7x series Radeons do not support HDMI audio yet. Waiting for a code drop...
            I assume that's HD6xxx/7xxx ?
            Because the chips inside have a different numbering scheme (eg-my HD3200 Mobility =RS780M, IIRC)

Comment

Originally posted by Ibidem View Post
              I assume that's HD6xxx/7xxx ?
              Because the chips inside have a different numbering scheme (eg-my HD3200 Mobility =RS780M, IIRC)
              Yeah, I think that's what he meant. R600 and Evergreen have hdmi audio with the free driver. Northern and Southern Islands do not.

Comment

@MatMaul

If your nv card is from series 9 you only need a spdif connector from board to card.

Comment

Working...
                X