Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gutsy. Compiz-Fusion. Catalyst 7.11. Videos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gutsy. Compiz-Fusion. Catalyst 7.11. Videos?

Hello,

Looking for any possible way to play videos in full screen with compiz-fusion running. Currently using X11 will work for VLC and totem when not resized, but it's too slow for the fullscreen output. OpenGL and XV outputs show flickering in both normal and fullscreen, and also fullscreen does not always go to the right monitor.

Also, I'm using "TexturedVideo".

Thanks!
    Cam

Now, with Catalyst 7.11 for linux, I'm a happy user
    I'm using compiz 0.6.3 (debian package) and I can watch movies in fullscreen, with a very good performance. I have a X1600pro AGP.

My Xorg options:

Option "UseInternalAGPGART" "yes"
    Option "no_accel" "no"
    Option "AccelMethod" "XAA"
    Option "no_dri" "no"
    Option "mtrr" "no"
    Option "VideoOverlay" "on"
    Option "OpenGLOverlay" "no"
    Option "TexturedVideo" "on"
    Option "OverlayOnCRTC2" "1"
    Option "DesktopSetup" "clone"
    Option "TVFormat" "NTSC-M"
    Option "TVStandard" "VIDEO"
    Option "VRefresh2" "60"
    Option "Mode2" "1024x768"
    Option "HWCursor" "on"
    Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
    Option "AccellMethod" "XAA"
    Option "EnablePageFlip" "on"
    Option "BackingStore" "no"
    Option "ColorTiling" "on"
    Option "PseudoColorVisuals" "off"
    Option "FSAAEnable" "on"
    Option "FSAAScale" "6"

Originally posted by sastraxi View Post
    Hello,

Looking for any possible way to play videos in full screen with compiz-fusion running. Currently using X11 will work for VLC and totem when not resized, but it's too slow for the fullscreen output. OpenGL and XV outputs show flickering in both normal and fullscreen, and also fullscreen does not always go to the right monitor.

Also, I'm using "TexturedVideo".

Thanks!
    Cam

Comment

I'm glad to hear you got it working!

Unfortunately, this setup does not work for me. Videos still flicker.

Comment

This did it for me:

Comment

Thanks, rbmorse. Unfortunately this makes full-screen movies too slow (in terms of choppiness/dropped frames). However windowed movies are brilliant as long as they aren't resized!

Comment

Hummm....I don't see any flickering or choppiness at all...except on the file I mis-configured k9copy and it compressed a 7Gb dual-layer disc to a 4Gb file. Everything else plays as smooth as could be both windowed and full screen.

Maybe this is a (the) situation where having an R580 on a Linux machine pays off...most of the time it is just a colossal waste of money.

Comment

Hah!
              Mostly I'm not upset about it; with the fusion-icon package I can switch between that and metacity at a whim; videos are as such almost the smallest deal. It'll be nice when video players support compiz fusion's "video" plugin out-of-the-box, but until then we'll have to live with these hiccups, I suppose.
              Thanks for the help thus far.

Comment

As for the video playback X11 doesn't work to well. If you go into full screen it lags. Also while this is a sub par work around, it doesn't help the issue with video games(or other video output while running compiz).Thanks though and this is a old work around.

Comment

I'd say it depends on hardware, then. I don't see any lag or choppiness in true full screen mode with X11 on the big box with the R580 even with Compiz-fusion running. Video playback in really large windows (1600 X 1200) does induce signs of distress, but switching to true full screen eliminates that problem. The MacBook Pro with its X1600 is a different story, although videos are still very watchable...to me anyway.

I wouldn't know about games.
                  Last edited by rbmorse; 28 November 2007, 01:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rbmorse View Post
                    I'd say it depends on hardware, then. I don't see any lag or choppiness in true full screen mode with X11 on the big box with the R580 even with Compiz-fusion running. Video playback in really large windows (1600 X 1200) does induce signs of distress, but switching to true full screen eliminates that problem. The MacBook Pro with its X1600 is a different story, although videos are still very watchable...to me anyway.

I wouldn't know about games.
                    I'm using a 1900xtx

Comment

Working...
                    X