Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LLVM/Clang On The ARMv7 PandaBoard ES

Phoronix: LLVM/Clang On The ARMv7 PandaBoard ES

Here's a quick look at running the LLVM/Clang compiler on the OMAP4460-based PandaBoard ES compared to the default GCC compiler.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What exactly do these tests prove?

Comment

Shouldn't it say: LLVM vs GCC rather than LLVM vs OMAP4 on the test results?
      And why does the title on the summary image say "Clang ARMv7 OMAP4 Pandaboard ES"?

Comment

Thanks again for a very informative article!

With so little information about compiler performance (and performance in general) of the ARM architecture, you've done a lot to inform the masses with your last two articles. Please keep us informed as to what TI says, and an updated set of benchmarks when Ubuntu 12.04 is released!

Thanks

Comment

Wow! Much worst than I expected.

I knew CLang was a mixed bag on ARM but this is pretty close to being universally bad. Hopefully once you can test the 3.x releases things will look better.

As others have already said please continue to move forward, the newest Ubuntu is a must but I might also suggest an ARM oriented distro. Or at the very least a light weight version of Ubuntu. The idea here would be to install a distro in a way that we might expect most users to employ it.

Of course continue to talk with TI. I'm intrigued by how much power goes into these little boards these days. However there seems to be one short coming that maybe you cn run past TI. That is real time Linux support, it would be fantastic if TI could take the bull by the horns here and support a port themselves. My interest in EMC and Linux CNC has me stuck in x86 land.

Comment

Lol 12MB/s memory read speed. IIRC my very first pc (486DX2-66, 4MB 70ns FPM-RAM) was able to read from memory at about 25MB/s.

Comment

What are the "default compiler parameters" ? Phoronix is well known in running tests w/o any optimizations at all

Comment

Working...
              X