Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How-To: Find The Mesa Performance Regressions

Phoronix: How-To: Find The Mesa Performance Regressions

Here's one of the ways that Phoronix finds the performance regressions within the Mesa / Gallium3D drivers in a very easy way...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

<b>Warning</b>: mysql_connect() [<a href='function.mysql-connect'>function.mysql-connect</a>]: Access denied for user 'phoromat_dL12JlW'@'localhost' (using password: YES) in <b>/home/phoromat/public_html/kernel-tracker.php</b> on line <b>34</b><br />
    ^
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

using apitrace for performance measurements

I was thinking how to measure performance regresions on programs that don't have any benchmark. Would be possible to just record a trace and measure how long it takes to replay it?

Comment

Originally posted by Paulie889 View Post
        I was thinking how to measure performance regresions on programs that don't have any benchmark. Would be possible to just record a trace and measure how long it takes to replay it?
        IMO, it's easier to just go to the game maker and demand benchmark functionality. I've always hated synthetic graphics benchmarks.. The only way to really know how a graphics card performs is to put it in some real-world benchmarks of graphics applications.

A lot of graphics hardware has some quirky limitations in them and they may or may not show up on a synthetic benchmark, but be assured they will show up in real-world benchmarks. A while ago there was a patch for KWIN that was supposed to boost performance of KWIN by using NPOT MipMaps on the desktop.. Problem was, the R300 hardware itself didn't fully implement NPOT MipMaps but advertised the capability for it because it partially supported it. With one tiny patch, KWIN went from reasonably speedy to horribly slow on older hardware, while at the same time, being slightly faster for newer hardware.

Similar kinds of weirdness shows up a lot in Intel graphics hardware as well.
        Last edited by Sidicas; 29 December 2011, 12:43 PM.

Comment

It's missing how to do the "if regression over x%, bisect" part

Comment

Working...
          X