Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Soul_keeper View Post
    I'm eagerly awaiting arm boards with sata, pcie, and standard ddr3 slots
    probably not things they care to target yet ...

usefull review, people ask for arm to be benchmarked often in forums around the web
    Yeah, I'm wanting to see what those fabled quad 2.5Ghz ARM SoCs can do, especially compared to an AMD Z-01(5.9w dual 1Ghz w/ 276Mhz 80SP GPU, DDR3 1066) but there have been a few ARM servers http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/N...stems-R1801e-/ --|-- http://www.geek.com/articles/chips/c...rver-20110314/ --|-- http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/10...e_server_chip/ HP's Moonshot etc.

Yes, I know nobody with AMD will read this
    Side note, AMD guys, where is all the hardware based on the Z-01, C-60 and E-450? These refined versions of the Bobcat series APUs should be taking the low end market by storm by now since they where launched months ago! Furthermore, why can't I find a high end gaming laptop thats all AMD? For years the best AMD mobile CPUs where paired with no better then an HD*670 GPU, why is there never even an all AMD desktop replacement laptop with a top end mobile GPU like the HD6990m?

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
      Less beer, more work worth reading. You'd have more readers if you put more effort into rebuilding your reputation with the general public. Try linking one of your articles on any tech site with Linux users, it's often considered a laughing stock.

If your rep was better you'd have more readers and more readers is more clout when hitting up companies for review samples, more samples means more articles, more articles means more page views. Rinse and repeat.

I like many others have allergies, the most relevant here are to overzealous advertising and to bad journalism. I'll put up with one, but never both.

At least you've stopped trying to review PSUs, You have neither the hardware nor the knowledge to do that justice. Just wish allot of other sites would stop cluttering Google with PSU reviews that say little more then "well it has wires and it turns on..."

I'm not complaining at all about traffic levels at all considering they trump most all other Linux news sites, I'm complaining about AdBlock users.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by RussDill View Post
        armel or armhf?
        Yes, please specify.

Or do a comparison between armel and armhf.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          And when there's so many non-Premium AdBlock'ers, those systems come from where?
          OK, I guess I'll comment one or two more lines out of /etc/hosts (currently 4803 lines and 143,888 bytes)
          (Before I got a hosts file, phoronix was almost unusable without switching to xlinks2--once I clicked a link to phoronix, waited ~5 minutes, went and ate dinner, came back, and waited a few more minutes for it to finish loading --in case you're wondering why it takes so long, the CPU is an Atom N270 that spends most of the time at 800 MHz, in an Aspire One)

Comment

Michael,

Thank you for the interesting article, its great to have some ARM benchmarks! I'd love to see more ARM coverage on Phoronix. Another system you could benchmark would be the Beagleboard and of course the Raspberry Pi (when its released).

BTW.. contgrats on making the frontpage of Slashdot on this article!!

Comment

I explained in the article why I didn't do power tests...
              Seems you did :-)
              I was too focused on numbers . Sorry :-(

Comment

the x264 benchmark, in the stock configuration
                Well, that does mean it uses hand-optimized assembler code on x86, but not on ARM, right?

Also, it's understandable that power consumption tests are quite difficult with such different hardware, but then maybe such conclusions should be a bit more cautious:
                While this dual-core ARM Cortex-A9 platform was generally not competitive with the Intel Atom hardware[...]
                I think it is very competitive: If it uses less than half the power of the Atom then just throw two more ARM cores in and there you have the competitive CPU, at least for multithreaded use cases.

Comment

I'm not complaining at all about traffic levels at all considering they trump most all other Linux news sites, I'm complaining about AdBlock users.
                  Yet when any of us Adblockers tells you what you can do to get us to whitelist Phoronix you brush us side to do nothing but whine that we're somehow costing you obscene amounts of money, which isn't even remotely possible, since you're apparently spending more on beer every week then what us adblockers would generate in a month.

As others have stated, if you truly feel you're being robbed, become a paid subscription only site, I'm sure it'll work just great for you...

Comment

Originally posted by thofke View Post
                    Yes, please specify.

Or do a comparison between armel and armhf.
                    tests were done with the stock Ubuntu 11.10, as such it's armel. agreed that armhf comparison would be nice.

Comment

Thanks Michael, it's great to have some good ARM numbers.

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
                      I think it is very competitive: If it uses less than half the power of the Atom then just throw two more ARM cores in and there you have the competitive CPU, at least for multithreaded use cases.
                      Not in perf/$. For 189$ you can get an E-450.

Comment

Working...
                      X