Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ATI fglrx 8.26.18 Discussion (June 2006)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yay... now i can get a overlay on my screen just like nVidia did on Win 4 years ago... it's like on cars: stickers make them go faster!

(in this time nVidia asks FreeBSD kernel devs new ways to make drivers work better and faster)

but a 30% performance hit or a R200 broken support pale in the face of a logo.xpm

Comment

Ati 8.26.18 x64 + FC5-x64 problems

Michael Thanks for that great Ati + Linux piece. It was a pleasure to read about you experience with the drivers. You have had much better success than I have and I was wondering if maybe someone can nudge me in the right direction to get the Ati driver working properly.
      System : AMD 64, 1GB ram, x1600 Ati. OS FC5-x64

I think I have followed the installation for 8.26.18 x64 driver from Ati. Using the installer, logs do not appear to be lethal, a few warnings about cast from pointer to integer and one maybe potentially problematic as follows
      WARNING: could not find /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/.libfglrx_ip.a.GCC4.cmd for /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/libfglrx_ip.a.GCC4

However the logs report that build succeded with with return value 0. So far so good

aticonfig produces a workable xorg.conf file and display is ok.
      The problem is that there does not seem to be any GL support and I was wondering what I might have missed along the way.
      Trying to run fireglcontrolpanel gives: fireglcontrolpanel: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/lib/libGL.so.1: cannot restore segment prot after reloc
      I am not quite sure what that means.
      google-earth gives the same message., glxgears does not run. etc. etc.
      Can anyone provide some insight into what I missed? Thanks in advance.
      I apologize for the length but I thought it better to be complete than having to do multiple posts to fill in details.

Comment

Yekuva,

Welcome to the forums. Had the previous 8.25.18 drivers worked for you or is this your first shot installing them? What kernel are you using with FC5? Was this after using the automatic installation process or using the Livna RPMs?
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael
          Yekuva,

Welcome to the forums. Had the previous 8.25.18 drivers worked for you or is this your first shot installing them? What kernel are you using with FC5? Was this after using the automatic installation process or using the Livna RPMs?

Sorry,
          kernel is 2.6.17-1.2157_FC5 x86_64 #1 SMP. I did not try the 8.25.18 drivers on FC5. I had issues with it on Kubuntu badger and so did not bother with trying it. I did have the livna rpms installed.
          Do I need to remove them??
          Ta for the response

Comment

So you used the ATI official installer on top of the Livna packages? What were the problems you encountered with those RPMs? You could try uninstalling those, and then reuse the automatic installation method again from the official binary.
            Michael Larabel

Comment

So you used the ATI official installer on top of the Livna packages? What were the problems you encountered with those RPMs? You could try uninstalling those, and then reuse the automatic installation method again from the official binary.
              Tried to do this again from scratch. Here's what I did
              1) Remove ati supplied driver (8.26.18-x64) using the fglrx-uninstall script
              2) remove all xorg-x11-drv-fglrx-8.26.18 xorg-x11-drv-fglrx-devel xorg-x11-drv-fglrx-libs-32bit
              3) remove kmod-fglrx-8.26.18

reboot

system comes up with vesa drivers (wonder if I can live with just that)

Decided to try just the ati-supplied driver

./ati-driver-installer-8.26.18-x86_64.run
              goes through and does its thing, install-log still complains about cast from pointer to integer and could not find /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/.libfglrx_ip.a.GCC4.cmd for /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/libfglrx_ip.a.GCC4

but again says build succeeded

running aticonfig gives
              aticonfig: error while loading shared libraries: libfglrx_pp.so.1.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
              running fireglcontrolpanel gives
              fireglcontrolpanel: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/lib/libGL.so.1: cannot restore segment prot after reloc: Permission denied

Ok, I'm going to remove this ati-supplied driver and try the livna alone
              More to come. (and it's such a nice day outside too, Sigh !!)

Comment

Originally posted by Yekuva
                running aticonfig gives
                aticonfig: error while loading shared libraries: libfglrx_pp.so.1.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
                running fireglcontrolpanel gives
                fireglcontrolpanel: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/lib/libGL.so.1: cannot restore segment prot after reloc: Permission denied

Ok, I'm going to remove this ati-supplied driver and try the livna alone
                More to come. (and it's such a nice day outside too, Sigh !!)
                Okay, if you didn't remove the drivers yet.... do

Code:
                su -
                aticonfig --initial
                The library problem is with Fedora Core 5, but if you do it as su - the library problem will go away. After that if you reboot, it should work flawlessly.
                Michael Larabel

Comment

Okay, if you didn't remove the drivers yet.... do

Code:
                  su -
                  aticonfig --initial
                  The library problem is with Fedora Core 5, but if you do it as su - the library problem will go away. After that if you reboot, it should work flawlessly.
                  I did it as root but it did not work.
                  Tried just the drivers from livna (8.26.18). Installed but control panel gives message
                  Driver does not provide the FireGL X11 extensions ! Panel components will operate only partially.

Today is not my day. Maybe I will really start from scratch. Clean install. Well there goes tomorrow (Yippeeee !!)

Thanks for your help Michael. WIll keep forum posted as to what comes of it.
                  More to come

Comment

What do you mean it did not work? Were you greeted with the same library error when trying to use aticonfig?
                    Michael Larabel

Comment

What do you mean it did not work? Were you greeted with the same library error when trying to use aticonfig?
                      I still have no info about GL or anything. Running fireglcontrol panel from console as root gives
                      fireglcontrolpanel
                      Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
                      Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
                      fireglcontrolpanel: cannot connect to X server :0
                      running as normal user gives the message
                      Driver does not provide the FireGL X11 extensions
                      Panel components will operate only partially
                      Palen loads but provides no info
                      New stuff to interpret??

Comment

Working...
                      X