Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ATI fglrx 8.26.18 Discussion (June 2006)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI fglrx 8.26.18 Discussion (June 2006)

They're finally here! Grab them over at ATI.

Release Notes (New Features):

# Hotplug Support for Digital Flat Panels
    # Thermal Event Power Management
    Phoronix 8.26.18 Coverage:

After two delays this month ATI Technologies today released their CATALYST 6.6 and fglrx v8.26.18 drivers. Contained in the ATI Linux drivers are a fair amount of changes beyond what was found in last month's (also belated) 8.25.18 driver release. We have detailed these changes and looked after the display driver performance...
    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=6879

Few other tidbits to discuss.... atieventsd, dynamic display management, R200 support still not fixed, possibility of Overdrive in the near future, X.Org 7.1 support coming soon.
    Last edited by Michael; 26 June 2006, 01:34 PM.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

The Lenovo ThinkPad T60 coincidentally arrived this morning. Just finished wiping the drive, and throwing Fedora Core 5 on there with a few updates. Using the ATI 8.26.18 drivers, it had no problem with the automatic installation option, and instantly recognized the ATI Radeon Mobility X1400 with 128MB of dedicated video memory. I have yet to try out the new IBM/Lenovo display switching with the atieventsd, however, that will come shortly. The T60 was using the 2.6.17 kernel with the 8.26.18 drivers. More of these mobile reports will come soon.

Michael Larabel

Comment

Alt-Fn switch back from textmode console to X still broken for me. System completely hang.
      My spec:
      Fedora Core 5 kernel 2.6.17
      Sapphire ATI x1600 Pro 256M AGP
      EPoX nForce3-250 based motherboard

I'm write small notes about tests on my blog.

Comment

DANG! I haven't even installed the previous version and another one is out!!!

If there's any problems, I'll let everyone know.

Comment

Debian etch problem.

I've grabbed the drviers as soon as they've come out but I'm frustrated.
          I'm using debian/etch (a mixed selection of packages from stable / unstable / testing).

I've uninstalled the other ones (8.25.x), installed 8.26 but failed. Wanted a X.org 7.0.0. Made an upgrade to X and sucseeded to install...
          Also the kernel module installation was smooth and successful...

Now the problem is, while the kernel module says that it enabled direct rendering, I cannot use it over KDE. I'm getting mesa indirect over SGI.

does anybody have an idea how to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Oops! I forgot. I'm running a Sapphire X1600Pro (512M) over PCIe and Kernel module reports it has 256M ram. Maybe a workaround

Edit for grammatical errors etc.
          Last edited by Silent Storm; 27 June 2006, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Silent Storm
            I've grabbed the drviers as soon as they've come out but I'm frustrated.
            I'm using debian/etch (a mixed selection of packages from stable / unstable / testing).

I've uninstalled the other ones (8.25.x), installed 8.26 but failed. Wanted a X.org 7.0.0. Made an upgrade to X and sucseeded to install...
            Also the kernel module installation was smooth and successful...

Now the problem is, while the kernel module says that it enabled direct rendering, I cannot use it over KDE. I'm getting mesa indirect over SGI.

does anybody have an idea how to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Oops! I forgot. I'm running a Sapphire X1600Pro (512M) over PCIe and Kernel module reports it has 256M ram. Maybe a workaround

Edit for grammatical errors etc.
            It sounds as though you have not used the native packages (in etch), or the installer specific packages. This would most likely result in two libGL.so's being around.

Please run 'LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose fglrxinfo' and post the results. Most likely it is using the one from /usr/lib/libGL.so rather than the ATI one installed in /usr/X11R6/lib.

Regards,

Matthew

Comment

No, I've installed from the standart debian repo, maybe they've just updated it.

After running LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose fglrxinfo, it said it did not find the file (the fglrx driver thing.so) and I've just created the dirs and linked it to the expected place and everything looks fine now.

Thanks very much for your help.

Regards,

Hakan.

Comment

Linux drivers get worst with time

Hello everybody,

I use the linux drivers from 2 years on my SuSE machine.
                After each release I test the drivers on my Radeon Mobility 9000 laptop and report them to the "Linux Drivers Feedback" at ATI.
                That never helped to improve or resolve the issues:

1) in Clone mode (or Mirror or Dualhead) the overlay on TV is vertically stretched (unusable) since 8.20.8
                2)problems (hangs) with multiple sessions, since 8.21.7
                NEW ENTRY:
                3)DRI not working with default installation; had to replace libGL.so.1.2 with one from 8.14.13 to solve

1) in Clone mode (or Mirror or Dualhead) the overlay on TV is vertically stretched (unusable)
                2)problems with multiple sessions
                3)DRI not working with default installation; had to replace libGL.so.1.2 with one from 8.14.13 to solve
                NEW ENTRY:
                4) switching resolution from 1400x1050 to 1024x768 results in a final resolution of ~640x400 (can't set 1024x768 on TV)

I notice that the 8.16.20 was almost better (but lacks the new features) then the later releases. Now I'm on xorg 6.9 and I must use the latest drivers. Those guys at ATI simply ignored my bug reports (probably because my Radeon card is not so new).

I'm so frustrated that I will think on two times before buying an ATI card on my next laptop.

Comment

robegue,

Had you tried posting your problem in the (unofficial) ATI Linux Bugzilla? Also, when submitting your Linux driver feedback, had you included the X.Org log, xorg.conf, and any other relevant outputs?
                  Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Michael
                    robegue,

Had you tried posting your problem in the (unofficial) ATI Linux Bugzilla? Also, when submitting your Linux driver feedback, had you included the X.Org log, xorg.conf, and any other relevant outputs?
                    I discovered the Bugzilla site only today. Some of the bugs are known, some aren't.

Yes I did included the logs, but for the radeon mobility cards is not supposed to have responses.

Greetings!

ATI does not provide direct technical support for laptops/notebooks at this current time (telephone or email). If you require direct technical support please contact the system manufacturer of your laptop/notebook.

ATI strives to continually improve our drivers and software and we thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback. The feedback you provided will be forwarded to our development team for review.

In the future, if you are e xperiencing a problem with a specific driver release, or if you have suggestions on how to make our drivers better, please take the time to submit your feedback at http://support.ati.com/ics/survey/survey.asp?deptID=894&surveyID=491&type=web">http://support.ati.com/ics/survey/survey.asp?deptID=894&surveyID=491&type=web">http://support.ati.com/ics/survey/su...D=491&type=web.

Please Note: This program is intended to gather feedback only for specific driver releases and not to solicit regular support inquiries. All support inquires will not be responded to.

Thank you for choosing ATI and have a great day.

Comment

Working...
                    X