No announcement yet.

"Ask ATI" dev thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm on a mission but have had no results so far. Since it only costs at the maximum the patience of the readers of this thread, I will ask once more, since maybe somebody who's reading this thread has not seen my question yet:

I have an HP NC8430 laptop with ATI X1600 Mobility (r500). My goal is to flash the bios so that the default power state (of 3) on AC power is the lowest one (as it supposedly is on battery).

Regardless the "legacy" status of my card, on Windows and Debian Lenny I get to use the proprietary driver with powersaving, but I'd like to be able to have the laptop cool from the moment I turn it on, if I use another OS or install a new OS, it will heat up quite fast.

It seems that the current flashers don't work well with this GPU. I think (but am not sure) that flashing the laptop's bios could help, but so far haven't found any progress using that route, either.

Thank you for your patience and help

Comment

• will catalyst 9,3 finally support xorg 1.7 ?

Comment

• Originally posted by sybn View Post
        will catalyst 9,3 finally support xorg 1.7 ?
        Good things come to those who wait

That's not always true for proprietary software though. It will be supported in time for Ubuntu 10.04 (...)

Comment

• No plans to update Catalyst 9.3 though... just the mainline driver with support for HD2xxx and up. I think sybn is asking about older GPUs.
          Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            No plans to update Catalyst 9.3 though... just the mainline driver with support for HD2xxx and up. I think sybn is asking about older GPUs.
            I have a mobility 2400, so i was hopping for 1.7 support in new catalyst

Comment

• You don't need 9.3 for a mobility 2400 - the newer drivers should support it. Any chance you meant 10.3 ?

Catalyst 9.3 is the last driver that supported pre-HD2xxx GPUs.
              Test signature

Comment

• Stability in fglrx

Since version 9.8, I don't hame much to ask for driver features - WoW has no more graphical corruption ; since 9.12, I have no more problems with X.org initialization (admittedly, switching to a more recent mobo could have helped too); and since 10.1, the control center got quite featureful.
                But could we get less memory corruption? I frequently get kernel dumps, hangs, etc. symptomatic of kernel space memory FUBAR'ing after some gaming. I use X.org 1.6.5, with compositing disabled.

It's getting very annoying. Although the RadeonHD 4850 I got 2 years ago is a definite bargain, its driver state reminds me of the 'golden' (?) Matrox Millenium days... Really great hardware, drivers that sucked so hard for so long that they lost the market to 3dfx.

Comment

• Lately the FGLRX drivers have gotten a lot better but they're not quite there. Specifically ATI is terrible at keeping up with xorg releases. What I want to know is when will catalyst support xorg-server 1.8?

Comment

• Officially, when the first of our supported distros (RHEL, SLE*, OpenSUSE, Ubuntu) releases a version which uses server 1.8 and we support that new distro version.

Unofficially, a few users have reported that the early 10.4 version released to Ubuntu for inclusion in Lucid already works on server 1.8, although I have not tried it myself.
                    Test signature

Comment

• Good to hear that 10.4 might work with xorg-server 1.8 as well. Perhaps I wont be stuck with 1.7 until who knows when after all. It's also good to know definitively when one can expect updates to xorg/kernel support with FGLRX too.

Comment

Working...
                      X