"Ask ATI" dev thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    The ability to pop a new tab in IE by clicking on the stub tab at the right of the active windows is really nice and I use it a lot, which is a point in favor of IE/Vista over Firefox/Linux.
    Ctrl+T is the answer. Or maybe one of the countless firefox add-ons.

PS:
    Serious people also use Firefox in Windows. I'm pretty much disappointed by you :P

Comment

• @Qaridarium

Boah, I never noticed that

Comment

• Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        Serious people also use Firefox in Windows. I'm pretty much disappointed by you :P
        Some days I'm disappointed by me too. We do the best we can

Thanks for the tips.
        Test signature

Comment

• bridgman,

sorry for that post, almost that I'm pretty sure you already answered the point somewhere in the 56 previous pages of this thread, but I wonder if there is rotation support with fglrx ?
          If no, would it possible to add it ?
          If yes, it's possible to add it, then, could it be automatic as screen turns, displays rotate alone ???

cheers.

Comment

• Nope, I haven't answered it 'cause I don't know the answer

I will try to find out though, but probably not today.
            Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              Nope, I haven't answered it 'cause I don't know the answer

I will try to find out though, but probably not today.
              Thanks a lot in advance for your search !

Comment

• @bridgman: Three questions i hope can legaly(and moraly) answer.

1) Back in October UVD was enabled in the catalyst driver for linux. While you have made it evident that it isn't official yet, could you give us an estimate on when we can expect official UVD in the catalyst driver?

Just something like "imminent, first quarter of 2009, hopefully by xmas". I'm not asking for an exact date to pin it on, just a general idea of where in the process AMD currently are.

2) Have the UVD specs for the r700 series been released with the 3d specs? Will they be released or are there copyright/patent issues that will prevent this from happening?

3) Have AMD made any consideraton towards moving to VA-API?
                With the current delay i'm thinking you might be changing the interface to be VA-API compatible. Which would, imho, be a good idea(shared interface with the intel drivers, is already implemented in ffmpeg/mplayer).

Hope i'm not imposing too much with these questions.

Sincerely
                Tobias Ussing

Comment

• Originally posted by TobiasTheViking View Post
                  1) Back in October UVD was enabled in the catalyst driver for linux. While you have made it evident that it isn't official yet, could you give us an estimate on when we can expect official UVD in the catalyst driver?
                  Quick answer is "I don't know". Yet.

Originally posted by TobiasTheViking View Post
                  2) Have the UVD specs for the r700 series been released with the 3d specs? Will they be released or are there copyright/patent issues that will prevent this from happening?
                  The recent info release was focused on the info required to use the 3D engine. This was really important because on 6xx and higher the 3D engine is used not just for video render and 3D acceleration, but for 2D acceleration as well. I have not really looked at UVD yet to determine if it is feasible to add it to the release plans; next on the list is 6xx/7xx power management, then we'll look at UVD after that. I'm trying to keep us focused on the info we said we *would* release for now

Originally posted by TobiasTheViking View Post
                  3) Have AMD made any consideraton towards moving to VA-API? With the current delay i'm thinking you might be changing the interface to be VA-API compatible. Which would, imho, be a good idea(shared interface with the intel drivers, is already implemented in ffmpeg/mplayer).
                  I don't think there are any plans to change the current API for fglrx. As far as I know adding support for another API to the players/decoders is not a big deal as long as the API itself is reasonable.
                  Test signature

Comment

• To all three points:

Fair enough... thanks

One follow up question.

When the UVD support becomes official, i suspect that will include full API interface and instructions on how to use it. But do you know if anyone have been doing any internal patching of software(ffmpeg/mplayer) to test it out, and if so, will that be released?

I realise you may not know the answer to that, or may not be at liberty to say. Still, i really wanna ask

ETA: I'm very impressed with your response time.

Comment

• I should probably stay away from that one, sorry.

We generally don't talk about unreleased features in fglrx, although I will cheerfully talk about our open source plans
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X