No announcement yet.

"Ask ATI" dev thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I actually like the "glass" part of the Vista UI, but haven't had time to see if there is an equivalent effect I can get on Linux. The last time I ran KDE was at home with OpenSuse 10.3 (I think); didn't like KDE 3.x much at the time. Gnome and I seem to get along pretty well; haven't tried KDE 4.x though. The ability to pop a new tab in IE by clicking on the stub tab at the right of the active windows is really nice and I use it a lot, which is a point in favor of IE/Vista over Firefox/Linux.

On the other hand, I do like the Compiz cube more than anything I have seen on Vista. I don't ever rotate the cube other than to show off what the drivers can do, but it is handy to be able to flip from one screen to another when reviewing documents and code. I dno't have the opportunity to play many H.264 videos so Xv has been enough for me -- BigBuckBunny plays ok at 1080p in H.264 but I have a quad-core CPU and a fast 5xx graphics card which probably both help. I'm planning to replace that with a slow 7xx card (4350 if I can find one) once I get my monitor back from Richard (see below).

Richard is using my 22" monitor to work on Mesa 6xx/7xx so my desktop Linux system at the office is down for a few days; in the meantime I put Intrepid on my laptop - a Thinkpad T41 with an M9 GPU. That doesn't work so well with Compiz and I had to turn off desktop effects to get consistently useable performance.

When I have a choice I tend to prefer the Linux system over the Windows one, even though right now I'm having to use a wussy Thinkpad with an even smaller screen than my XP box. I haven't seen performance problems running fglrx, radeon or radeonhd although I admit that probably means I need to get some slower hardware. All this stuff really did work out of the box for me, although I understand it isn't doing that for everyone.

Nobody ever likes my answers
    Last edited by bridgman; 31 January 2009, 03:20 AM.
    Test signature

Comment

• KDE 3.5 and KDE 4.2 are both very good on openSUSE 11.1. I'd give them both a try.

KDE 4.2 has its own composite window manager and effects, so you don't need to Compiz with it.

You can get a "glass" look in KDE with the Crystal window decoration.

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        The ability to pop a new tab in IE by clicking on the stub tab at the right of the active windows is really nice and I use it a lot, which is a point in favor of IE/Vista over Firefox/Linux.
        Double-Clicking in the Tab-bar has the same effect in Firefox (opens up a new tab).
        Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        Nobody ever likes my answers
        That's not true. You're posts are usually very elaborate and helpful, and I think they're the primary reason for some r600/r700-people here not to give up on AMD/ATi.
        The only ones who seem to critisize every post of yours are the OPEN-UP-FGLRX!!111-people. :P

Comment

• Originally posted by Zhick View Post
          Double-Clicking in the Tab-bar has the same effect in Firefox (opens up a new tab).
          same with konqueror.

Originally posted by Zhick View Post
          That's not true. You're posts are usually very elaborate and helpful, and I think they're the primary reason for some r600/r700-people here not to give up on AMD/ATi.
          The only ones who seem to critisize every post of yours are the OPEN-UP-FGLRX!!111-people. :P
          yeah. I really like reading bridgeman's posts.

Comment

• @bridgman

Pressing ctrl+t is usually faster and works since early mozilla ages ctrl+w to close.

Comment

I actually like the "glass" part of the Vista UI, but haven't had time to see if there is an equivalent effect I can get on Linux.
              Compiz supports transparent windows and can blur things "below" a transparent window, if that's what you want. But AFAIK it only works with OpenGL 2, so no support with OSS drivers

Comment

• Heh, don't get too down bridgman, I like your answers too

Seems my situation is weird; I have 3d with open drivers, I want decent 2d. Before you forget about the question four pages back
                There is no support for a1 surfaces in the open drivers & EXA, and seemingly won't be for months. Does frglx support it?

Comment

• I think I managed to pinpoint the problem with fglrx and ubuntu 8.10. I think it has to do with mesa. Mesa 7.2 doesn't seem to work with fglrx while on my other laptop, Mesa 7.3 does work with fglrx (Fedora 10).

Comment

I actually like the "glass" part of the Vista UI, but haven't had time to see if there is an equivalent effect I can get on Linux.
                    If you're too busy to install KDE 4.2.0, here's the "Aero" equivalent on KDE 4. This is NOT Compiz. This is just vanilla KDE 4.2 on Ubuntu 8.10:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I upgraded to it just two days ago. The result was me going on a flame fest against fglrx. The stuff you see on the video needs NVidia drivers; fglrx craps out. Any plans to actually make Catalyst useful for compositing some day? I mean, KDE 4.2.0 has nothing to hide from Vista/Windows 7 or OS X. Right now, it's ATI's drivers that spoil the fun. And they spoil it big time.
                    Last edited by RealNC; 31 January 2009, 04:10 PM.

Comment

• Btw. as long as you xserver is old enough you can try older drivers as well. Maybe combine it with the -z option, that will not kill x immediately but will require a reboot.

sh install-fglrx-debian.sh -zv 8-7

but not all drivers are patched for 2.6.27+ completely, for 32 bit since 8-7, for 64 bit drivers since 8-9 could be used.

Comment

Working...
                      X