No announcement yet.

"Ask ATI" dev thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bump, since it looks like there will be a Q&A in January...
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

One of the questions I have for the devs would be how long have you been doing Linux driver development?

Do you know of the very useful Linux based debugging tools available such as Valgrind and Oprofile that can help you find most of the performance, memory loss, memory corruption, and wild pointer problems within the OpenGL and other code cores for Linux and indirectly for Windows?

Comment

How has the workplace changed since amd took over? (that's a very broad question I know...things like is there better communication between management & devs, do you have more resources at your disposal, etc)
        What's your favourite linux distro / which one do you use at home? at work?
        Are there feature deadlines? Or is it just "when it's done"?
        Which tools do you use? e.g eclipse, or just use emacs/vim/pico and command line?
        Is there any sort of push to 64bit, or does it sit primarily with 32bit? Or does the new code base allow equal doses of each?
        and I put this in the last post I made in this thread, but still:
        what do you have for lunch?

Comment

Do you intend to support other archs in future?
          Currently only x86/x64 is supported; however there are lots
          of other archs with pci/pci-e and working linux support
          (ppc, mips, sparc, alpha, i even think there are arm's and SH's planned with
          pcie)

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
            all i care about is : (not really to the devs)
            > when can we expect the rest of the docs?
            I second that. I would love to see a almost complete radeonhd driver on summer 2008.

Comment

Will there be a documentation release any time soon for the R300/R400 parts? I have a mobility X700 in my laptop - the fglrx driver can't (and never could, ever) suspend and wake up again successfully. The radeon driver can do it perfectly, but it has an odd bug that causes X to freeze up at random. Both seem to be terrible at power management. I have a suspicion that proper documentation would help the radeon dev team to solve the last two problems.

Is there any concept of a "blocker" bug prior to the release of a version of fglrx? I.e. how big does a bug have to be before it means delaying a driver?

Do any of you have nvidia cards in your PCs at home? Would you recommend them?

Comment

Fusion - will you release it along with open source drivers or documentation beforehand to at least prepare the radeonHD for it?

How are you/ will you go about the driver design/development for fusion?

Will you rebase the fglrx's on the radeonhd base? Is it being considered for the not-too distant post 3d radeonhd future?

Do you have clear idea of how you want the fglrx's to evolve - or is it jst bugfix - break bug - bugfix new bug?
                What ideas have you borrowed from open source drivers and what have the windows dev team borrowed from you?

Whats your schedule for doc releases for 2008? Will this be an ongoing thing?

Mobile GPUs - Imageon etc. - with all the eepc, mids, nanobooks heading our way are considering using these or underclocked mobile hd series chips? If so, can we see imageon documentation being released? How about documentation for gaming sys gpus?

How do you go about marketing/evangelising the linux driver to devs/publishers? (Other then phoronix) Are you starting to see any/more interest in the driver from companies /publishers such as Valve?

Do you see the linux gaming landscape changing drastically in the future? What is the relationship with fglrx's upstream and downstream like?

Do you look at the performance of your drivers under the current wine? Will you be looking at it once wine 1.0 is released (apparently some time 2008)

Will you port current/future video card demos (ruby etc) to linux?

Has the driver train way of doing things changed at all? What apps do you use to test the fglrxs?

Michael - will all previous questions in this thread be answered?

Is a q&a with nvidias linux team planned? Also a radeonhd/nouveau q & a session would be nice?

I hope it's a massive q&a session.

If the devs are too time pressed for answering every qs, perhaps a quick and dirty "yes, no, maybe, no comment" section can be made at the very end for the rest.
                Last edited by hmmm; 30 December 2007, 07:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by werdz View Post
                  Will there be a documentation release any time soon for the R300/R400 parts?
                  I am interested in that too.I have a Ati Radeon Xpress Mobility X1150.I saw many laptops with this card including new ones.Because it is Mobility it is not based on r500 but on r400.This means that no open source driver has proper support for it or even supports it at all(Radeon,RadeonHD,Avivo).
                  So I would like to know when can we expect the r400 specs?

Comment

Will agp continue to be supported in the foreseeable future ? I've read at DriverHeaven that the last recommended Cats were the 7.7's ..Omega was modding the 7.10's to add agp support.
                    Last edited by DarkFoss; 30 December 2007, 10:20 AM.
                    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
                    Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Originally posted by mo0n_sniper View Post
                      I am interested in that too.I have a Ati Radeon Xpress Mobility X1150.I saw many laptops with this card including new ones.Because it is Mobility it is not based on r500 but on r400.This means that no open source driver has proper support for it or even supports it at all(Radeon,RadeonHD,Avivo).
                      So I would like to know when can we expect the r400 specs?
                      i don't know if it's feasible what i've suggested in the x200m status thread in the opensource ati forum, ie. provide some nda documentation about the igps to devs who needs it so that they could do some adjustments for these boards, specially with regarding of powerplay-standby-suspend and with info for fixing the casual xorg crashes, but it would be nice for these boards' owners to see some of these feature working acceptable in the near future. for example on my board, suspend to ram works, but the second time i try to do it the pc doesn't suspend anymore. the suspend to disk has the same issue, and sometimes it even doesn't restart well. from what i've read around here this issues are present in all igps and if there would be a way to fix them in a quite rapid way (fglrx of via a nda in the opensource driver) it would be great.
                      delivering info for only the igps would be troublesome since there are different types of series (i don't know how much they're different from the non-igp boards and how much proprietary stuff have included inside). for me fglrx is usable and quite stable but still has some issues that aren't good enough (performance is very low and power management is not as i'd like).

so my question is: will these boards' user receive a good driver (power management and performant 2d and 3d) in the near future (about a quarter of an year)?

Comment

Working...
                      X