"Ask ATI" dev thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Bug... ok, help me understand something. Are folks asking if we dropped 3xx/4xx from the driver because of something specific (removal of IDs etc..) or just because of a bug ?
    Since 8.10, fglrx doesn't work with R300-Hardware, anymore. Because you guys at ATI never tell us anything, we don't know if it's a bug or if R300-Support was dropped.
    Last edited by Stormking; 19 November 2008, 02:49 PM.

Comment

• I asked around - no change in support and driver seems to work on 3xx/4xx in house, so sounds like a bug. What is the issue you are seeing ?
      Test signature

Comment

• Seems to work - funny - not even in nexuiz a res change is possible since 8-9 (xorg 7.1.1, rv410).

Comment

• OK, but help me here. Inability to change resolutions inside a game is hardly something that would constitute "dropping support", is it ? I had assumed there was a bigger, more blatant problem involved.
          Test signature

Comment

• Well some with newer chips say it would work, can't verify due to missing hardware. So older hw support seems to be even more broken than newer one. Btw. I found out that

gl2benchmark -sceneselect 3

would work (4 might segfault directly), but when test 1 or 2 was done then test 3 will not work. Something breaks pointsprites in that case - last fully working driver for that bench was 8.40.4 - think about it...

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              I asked around - no change in support and driver seems to work on 3xx/4xx in house, so sounds like a bug. What is the issue you are seeing ?
              People experiencing this bug cannot insert the kernel module. One gets the following error message:
              Code:
              [fglrx:drm_alloc] *ERROR* [driver] Allocating 0 bytes
              [fglrx:firegl_init_device_list] *ERROR* Out of memory when allocating device heads
              [fglrx:firegl_init_module] *ERROR* firegl_init_devices failed
              More reports here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/284408

Comment

• My Xorg log reports "screen not found" when I try to reboot and drops me to command prompt (8.10 and 8.11). WHen I try to run aticonfig --initial I get a segmentation fault.

Running ubuntu intepid (8.10) on a Toshiba M30X with Radeon mobility 9600 m10. 8.9 worked a treat (on hardy) but 8.9 will not work on intrepid due to xorg server versions and catalyst 8.10 and 8.11 refuse to recognise hardware it would appear.

Edit: The logs also indicate a whole bunch of unknown symbols (can't say which as currently in work)
                Last edited by porksome; 20 November 2008, 10:18 AM.

Comment

• I just wondered: When Gallium3d will be ready, will fglrx also be converted to be a Gallium3d-driver and to use the same OpenGl-thing (don't know what it's called... the thing that implements OpenGl-functionality on top of a Gallium3d-driver).

Comment

• Isn't ATI's OpenGL implementation supposed to be faster?

Comment

• I am no ATI dev, but I don't think they'll do this.
                      They have a pretty fast&solid OpenGL implementation, so they would not gain anything by throwing away what they have now and implement it from scratch.
                      Furthermore I guess Gallium3D means a completly free and open 3D driver, which won't happen. You'll see free drivers providing 3D developed by novell and paid by AMD - but with nowehere near the performance of the closed implementation.

Comment

Working...
                      X