"Ask ATI" dev thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X800 overheating

For one year or so i cant use the fglrx drivers because they are overheating my X800 card, cause my fan to spin at maximum speed and produce a lot of noise. Also i am afraid this could damage my card or decrease the lifetime dramatically.
    This is a real grave bug for all who have this problem!

Are the ATI devs aware of this Bug? And will it be fixed? I just want a simple answer to know if i have to buy a new card or wait for the bugfix.

I and others have reported the bug to the ati devs but there never was a answer or feedback or anything. Also it was never mentioned in the "Known Bugs" list.
    What else could we do?
    Very frustrating!

I hope Bridgman or anybody else could give an answer.
    A simple yes or no would already be enough.

Comment

• When can we expect 3D support for radeon hd 3870 x2 on linux?

Comment

• In my opinion AMD/ATI do not put enough ressource into there Linux driver support team, that is why, We has paying costumer have so much trouble with there card.

I'm asking the following question to the dev at ATI who are reading this:

Is there a way for us costumer to influence the management at AMD so that they can correct this situation?

You know maybe something like an online petition????

Comment

• Originally posted by fred View Post
          In my opinion AMD/ATI do not put enough ressource into there Linux driver support team, that is why, We has paying costumer have so much trouble with there card.

I'm asking the following question to the dev at ATI who are reading this:

Is there a way for us costumer to influence the management at AMD so that they can correct this situation?

You know maybe something like an online petition????
          Fred,

ATI/AMD have a full team working on open source support and development. They have made huge strides over the last 6-8 months in bringing the driver up to a performance and quality level that the user community has requested. Several of those developers participate here.

Do you have a specific issue with a specific driver on a specific card, or do you just want to complain in general? If you have a specific problem, post a thread about it including the full details of your configuration, and the nice folks here will try to help you.

Thanks,

Porter

Comment

• Specific issue

Originally posted by Porter View Post
            Fred,

ATI/AMD have a full team working on open source support and development. They have made huge strides over the last 6-8 months in bringing the driver up to a performance and quality level that the user community has requested. Several of those developers participate here.

Do you have a specific issue with a specific driver on a specific card, or do you just want to complain in general? If you have a specific problem, post a thread about it including the full details of your configuration, and the nice folks here will try to help you.

Thanks,

Porter
            I'm not Fred, but my specific issue couldn't be resolved over months now.
            I'm running a Sapphire Radeon 1600 Pro AGP, Suse Linux 10.3, all what I get is a black screan at X-Server Startup. No Error in Xorg.log.
            There is no Help for this issue available in any community and I opened a ticket at ATi-Support for that. They marked the ticket as resolved and sent me a link: https://support.ati.com/ics/support/...estionID=28027
            which is not helpfull.
            So Porter, if there is this full team at ATI why can't the support answer in a more specific way?
            If there is dedicated help for problems with ATI- AGP Cards and the fglrx-drivers out there I would appreciate if you send me any suggestion to solve the problem.

Kind Regards

Conrad Lindenmeier

Comment

• Originally posted by Porter View Post
              Fred,

Thanks,

Porter
              Sure I have a specific issue.

I'm the unlucky owner of an SAPPHIRE HD2600 pro AGP card. I bought it in January And I was only able to partially use it since the last driver release.

I mean partially because even if Compiz and video rendering is good. The gaming performance of the card is so low that my Old radeon 9800 pro card put it to shame! And I bought this particular card because I wanted to play the game ETQW. And of course I also wanted to play my other game like Quake4 and Doom3 at higher quality setting and resolution.

Since this card is pretty mainstream I reasonably expected that the Linux driver would fully support this card.

PS: BTW there is a tread dedicated to the HD2600 AGP card on this forum and we are all waiting for an answer from AMD concernig official support for those card.
              Last edited by fred; 05 April 2008, 09:52 AM.

Comment

• One new question from me...

Is it planned fglrx to be ported soon to the new DRI2 architecture??

Cause it will be trully a milestone for us Compiz-Fusion users, it will allow us to watch windowed XV Video and play 3D games without that crazy blinking stuff..

Comment

• known issue for a year: no support for video playback on second head (dual head mode)

Since the release of the new improved drivers, I'm waiting for support for video playback on the second head in dual head mode. I'm using an Ati 9500 pro video card with my tv connected as a second X screen (so I use two separate X screens).

Unfortunately video playback on the second head isn't supported for almost a year now (to be exactly: today is April 17th, the issue appeared for the first time in the release notes of driver 8.36, released on April 18th 2007). This means I'm still using an old driver which came as the default one with Ubuntu 7.04. I tried some of the newer drivers (8.42, 7.11, 8.1, 8.3), but each time I'm moving back to the old ones because I can't play video's on my TV.

I tried to contact Ati to ask if there are any plans to resolve this issue, but there doesn't seem to be an official channel through which I can get an answer to my question. So I'm hoping to find an answer to my question on this forum. Is there any hope this issue will be resolved in the near future?

I'm planning to buy a new computer somewhere in June/July and much about the graphics hardware which I will chose will depend on the Ati drivers for Linux. The nice thing about AMD/Ati is that it is possible to buy a whole system with AMD cpu, AMD chipset and AMD gpu. But 90% of my time I'm working in Linux and therefore I really need some reasonable driver support for my GPU (I also like to develop OpenGL applications in Linux).

Comment

• What about support for amd780 on-board video decoding

Originally posted by Porter View Post
                    Fred,

Thanks,

Porter
                    My question is this: will the current driver use the HW decoding that ATI says is in the 780 on board graphics?

Right now I'm running the 8.3 release on Gutsy with 2GB and ATI X2 at 3.2GHz on a 760 based MB. There are some 1080P videos that it just can't keep up with (playing with VLC, Movie Player, etc.) ... both CPU's are pegged over at 3.2 and I assume the problem is they are decoding the stream in software - so will the new linux drivers make full use of the on board decoding of the 780G series chipsets?

Comment

• Originally posted by Heiko View Post
                      Since the release of the new improved drivers, I'm waiting for support for video playback on the second head in dual head mode. I'm using an Ati 9500 pro video card with my tv connected as a second X screen (so I use two separate X screens).

Unfortunately video playback on the second head isn't supported for almost a year now (to be exactly: today is April 17th, the issue appeared for the first time in the release notes of driver 8.36, released on April 18th 2007).
                      It seems I have `solved' the problem. I thought lets give it a shot and tried to install the 8.4 driver today. After I've put the line 'TexturedVideo "on"' into my xorg.conf I was able to playback video's on my tv (in dual head mode). I'm not sure if this xorg line solved the problem. Maybe someone can explain if this is the reason why it works now?

I also tried to play a movie with mplayer using '-vo gl2' but this gave very poor results. When I changed it to '-vo x11' it worked (xv didn't work at all for me).

Comment

Working...
                      X