No announcement yet.

"Ask ATI" dev thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will AMD also be releasing some kind of documentation for the Flipper?
    (the graphics chip in Gamecube)

Comment

• Originally posted by curaga View Post
      Will AMD also be releasing some kind of documentation for the Flipper? (the graphics chip in Gamecube)
      I'll answer this one now. Nope, not even a hint. Flipper is a custom part developed specifically for Nintendo and any info release like that would need to come from Nintendo. This open source project is just for PC graphics.
      Last edited by bridgman; 09 February 2008, 01:50 PM.
      Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by givemesugarr View Post
        this topic is about questions to be asked to amd/ati developers and not about people that want to impose priorities on them.
        so i must tell you again: if you want to ask questions to ati devs then try asking questions that haven't been asked.
        if you want to blaim someone and to express your unsatisfaction then opena nother thread.
        OK so you wanna be a smart ass about it. I'll rephrase that in the form of a question.

Dear ATI/AMD developer, in your opinion do you think that assuring basic compatibility with the product that your company and there partner sell to the public should be the number one priority?

Comment

• Originally posted by fred View Post
          OK so you wanna be a smart ass about it. I'll rephrase that in the form of a question.

Dear ATI/AMD developer, in your opinion do you think that assuring basic compatibility with the product that your company and there partner sell to the public should be the number one priority?
          this seems like a real good question. let's stand by and wait for the release of the q&a to see if it will be covered.

off-topic: if being a smart ass about it takes people to think before talking and then to speak out in a manner in which they'd be heard and listen, then i'm happy to be one.
          remember that off-topic spam here could bring question to not be easily seen or to question to be asked more than one time because someone just missed it.

Comment

• Originally posted by fred View Post
            First of all when a costumer buy one of your product it has to work. Meaning that the first priority is that the driver that your company produce MUST support the card that are on the market. For example the current driver do not support any card for the HD 2400 to HD2600 in the AGP format!!!!!
            On the HD 2600 AGP i bought it says on the box under minimum requirements something like:
            Windows 2000, XP, Vista

I use linux too, and would like for my new card to work on my system, but are we in a position to complain to AMD for not having written the driver yet? Have they suggested that it's working on linux?

Comment

• Then a more dev-friendly question:

Some companies are using Linux in marketing. I see this as a good thing, and would definitely buy, say a graphics card with a "Works with Linux" pic with Tux on it. When can we see that on AMD graphics card packaging?

Comment

• Originally posted by curaga View Post
                Then a more dev-friendly question:

Some companies are using Linux in marketing. I see this as a good thing, and would definitely buy, say a graphics card with a "Works with Linux" pic with Tux on it. When can we see that on AMD graphics card packaging?
                Heh... That's up to the vendors, I think. Intel doesn't put that on any of their motherboard boxes and I'm pretty sure that ECS and Gigabyte doesn't put it on their stuff either, being some of the mainline motherboard vendors shipping stuff with the 945G, 965G, 33G and 35G chipsets. Why would it be any different for AMD? It's not the same situation as the WQHL situation on Windows- because they can't "survive" without that one and they take a chance on people insisting upon support from them if they put that Penguin on the box.

To the industry, we're still a niche, when you get right down to brass tacks. Not so much one now as before (we've got AMD's and Intel's attention, as we apparently have Creative's- and possibly even NVidia's...but we still have to deal with the rubbish that the Media companies and Microsoft are shoveling...) but still one all the same. The people making the hardware out there don't yet realize that it's in their best interests to put that little Penguin on their box. Yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by N-0-X View Post
                  I totally agree. I'm in the same problem as you but with an ATI 2400HD
                  card. Byt the way, ATI/AMD didn't even make the windows drivers of the AGP versions of these cards: that's a smart move...
                  Uh... How do you know THAT particular tidbit of info?

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                    Uh... How do you know THAT particular tidbit of info?
                    I think the issue is that we don't have a link to the AGP hotfix driver on the main download page, so if you just follow the links you end up with a driver that doesn't include the AGP IDs.

I believe support for AGP under Windows will be in the next Catalyst driver -- if not then we should try to make the hotfix driver more visible.
                    Test signature

Comment

• I've somewhat followed that issue for a while over at DriverHeaven.net..
                      I think the Cat 7.7's were the last with agp support..leaving those with newer cards to wait for OmegaDrive to mod them and add in the agp id's..at least for XP.. He hasn't yet released a modded Vista driver that I'm aware of...

At the time I wasn't sure if ATI had dropped support for agp altogether and is the reason I asked if AGP will be supported in the FGLRX driver for the foreseeable future at least.back on page 2 or 3 I think.
                      Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
                      Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Working...
                      X