"Ask ATI" dev thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Just so we don't miss anything, are you talking about OpenGL 3.0 or more about lower level changes like TTM and maybe modesetting going into the kernel ?
    Ow sorry, I'am talking about the TTM changes, the so called problem of "Redirected direct rendering".
    Anyway if you have prediction for opengl 3.0, feel free to speak about it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
      Will there be serious 2D XRender accaleration be available in future proprietary driver builds?

XRender is getting used more and more, and intel and nvidia are already working on enhancing their drivers..

lg Clemens
      we already saw an initial work on it. there was an article on phoronix some weeks ago about initial ati support.

Comment

• Hello I hope somebody will give me a clear answer.

Will the next driver support the HD2600 pro 512M AGP card?

The present driver do support the PCIE version but not the AGP version. I had this card for more than a week now and I'm still hoping that the next driver will support it. But if the DEV at AMD say that they wont look into this I will trade this card for a nvidia.

But I Realllly would like to keep this card it is plenty powerful for my need and it was very affordable. I posted numerous support ticket, but I got no reply or feedback. If within a week I don't get a response from AMD I will have to cut my lose and sell it on Ebay.

Comment

• Originally posted by fred View Post
          Hello I hope somebody will give me a clear answer.

Will the next driver support the HD2600 pro 512M AGP card?

The present driver do support the PCIE version but not the AGP version. I had this card for more than a week now and I'm still hoping that the next driver will support it. But if the DEV at AMD say that they wont look into this I will trade this card for a nvidia.

But I Realllly would like to keep this card it is plenty powerful for my need and it was very affordable. I posted numerous support ticket, but I got no reply or feedback. If within a week I don't get a response from AMD I will have to cut my lose and sell it on Ebay.
          maybe you haven't understand that this thread would give devs a list of questions and they would in the future release a document with replies to the questions. so it might be that you won't get any answer until your deadline.

as a matter of fact, the agp boards have still some issues with fglrx. you could try out xf86-video-radeonhd and xf86-video-ati. the first doesn't have 2d or 3d accel and the second could not work at all with your board sicne it's not primary meant for r600 hd series as radeonhd. but for these drivers you'll have to use the git versions as well as git versions of mesa, xorg-server, libdrm and x11-drm. you'll have to compile a little, but for the moment this should be the only way to have the boards supported. else you could try out catalyst 7.11 (this version worked quite well with hd2600 except the memory leak bugs, while the 7.12 and 8.01 had some issues).

Comment

• Well then why bother I need 3d acceleration givemesugarr!

And the 7.11 driver do not support those card in there AGP variant. (I know I have tried! ) And the only driver that is compatible is VESA !!!!

And BTW I use to have a still very good RADEON 9800 PRO that work flawlessly with the most recent driver. So excuses me to expect the same kind of support for a very mainstream card like the HD2600 Pro AGP!

Has a consumer I feel betray that's all.

So who want to trade a perfectly good HD2600 pro AGP for a NVIDIA 7800 GS AGP???

Comment

• @fred:

You mean the card does not even start with fglrx, or the driver recognizes it as a PCI-Express one?

Isn't there a way to force AGP detection? Via some sort of xorg.conf option?

Comment

• Whenn xorg start the screen go black and even the keyboard go out!!!

So my best guest is that the driver think that the card is a PCIE and assing IRQ and so on as such. Wich of course crash the system.

If a dev out there could tell us how to fix this I would be satisfy.

Comment

• I think I have the same problem that fred has, with fglrx and my dual-DVI HIS Turbo IceQ Radeon HD2600 XT AGP 8x 512 MB GDDR3 card.

(tried every conceivably relevant xorg.conf option on or off with every AGP Aperture setting my mainboard supports, starting at 16 MB going up to 1 GB in 2x increments on fglrx 7-10 (equivalent, 8.433 I believe), 7-11, 7-12 and 8-1.)

best result with fglrx (7-11):
                  rotating mouse cursor followed by a half-drawn gdm greeter screen finishing in a system & keyboard hang and the rest of the screen drawn in white.

best result with fglrx and direct rendering turned off:
                  login succeeds and ends in a fully functional but agonizingly slow & totally white desktop where all I can see is my mouse cursor
                  (Obviously compiz was turned on - I run on 64-bit Ubuntu/7.10 on AMD 4800+ dual-core with Via K8T800Pro chipset and 4GB RAM)

worst result with fglrx (all versions since 7-11):
                  black screen system hang when gdm loads.

I tried booting with and without the splash screen - usually no difference. This driver just doesn't want to work properly with the Radeon HD2600 AGP cards it seems :-(

So I would like to see answers to his questions if possible.
                  Last edited by Swoopy; 30 January 2008, 10:55 AM.

Comment

• I will try to get some clarification on this. As givemesugarr says, this is the thread where we collect questions and work through them a few at a time over lunch, so if I can get an answer it'll go in a different thread.

This is more of a "hmm, I always wondered..." kind of thread
                    Test signature

Comment

• @fred:

Try this, under device Section add
                      option "Textured2D" "off"

Also pastebin or provide Xorg.0.log with fglrx started and your xorg.conf

If you cannot start with fglrx, start once and then start with vesa. The fglrx's xorg.0.log will be the backed up one!

Comment

Working...
                      X