"Ask ATI" dev thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    The point I was trying to make was that this was a 10.5 regression which still occurred in 10.6, while the earlier poster was talking about a regression specific to 10.6, ie worked in 10.5 not 10.6, so probably a different issue...
    Oh, I'm sorry. I missed the point you were trying to make. Yeah, it may well be a different issue for him if it only shows up in 10.6. Thanks for clarifying.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dandel View Post
      3) The behaviour of GLX_SGI_video_sync is sub optimal, and confuses a lot of programs into thinking that they are missing frames when they are not. would it be possible to change the behavior to better signify that nothing no vblanks are missed? (xbmc again, unfixed)

As a note, the behavior of returning 1 when nothing is rendered, and 3 when something is rendered causes a lot of problems when detecting missed frames.
      I forgot to mention the bug link for this.

Comment

• For clarity, are you saying :

- the extension is not implemented (ticket #120 title)
        - the extension is implemented but does not comply with the spec
        - the extension is implemented, but behaves differently from other implementations in an area not precisely defined by the spec

The bug title implies #1, your last post suggests #2 or #3.

Am I correct in saying that the "we want this extension" bug ticket has now been overloaded with "we've had this extension for a couple of years but don't like the way it works" ? If so, sounds like the old ticket should be closed and a new one started to avoid confusion.

To the best of your knowledge, has the reported behaviour been there as long as the extension has been implemented, or is this a regression ?

Thanks..
        Test signature

Comment

For clarity, are you saying :

To the best of your knowledge, has the reported behaviour been there as long as the extension has been implemented, or is this a regression ?

Thanks..
          I really can't answer any those questions, because i don't know which driver version implemented this feature. Other than that, i can't help, because i normally have vsync disabled.

Comment

• That's why I said "to the best of your knowledge", ie have the problems you reported been present in fglrx whenever you tried it, or was there an earlier version where you saw it working the way you expected ?
            Test signature

Comment

• xorg.conf settings documentation

This may have been asked and answered like a year ago, but the answer wouldn't be current anyway.

Dorking around with strange undocumented parameters in xorg.conf for fglrx isn't as critical as it used to be (HWCursor anyone?).

Still, lots of people pasting in xorg.conf snippets have various strange settings. I'm not asking for a full detailed rundown here. A sentence fragment for each setting (strings fglrx_drv.so should give you an idea of what parameters are begging explanation).

Some settings aren't fglrx-specific, but would be worth at least mentioning. For instance, I added:
              Option "Primary" "true"
              Option "MadeUpSetting" "true"
              in the "Device" section. xorg.log made mention of Primary but not MadeUpSetting.
              Primary is an XRandR 1.3 feature, and fglrx only claims 1.2 support. So it'd be nice to know if this (not-fglrx-specific) option is supported.

Thanks in advance, ATI developers (aka Bridgman )

Comment

• In general you should be configuring the driver using the control panel or aticonfig these days, not by editing xorg.conf. Use xorg.conf for X server configuration and aticonfig for driver configuration.

Running aticonfig -help (or --help, I forget) will give you a list of options.
                Test signature

Comment

• I don't know about Savage2 and HoN, since I have only installed them in Linux, but Quake Live also doesn't work on Windows since 10.5.

I think the OpenGL issue is not just a Linux specific issue, but also a Windows issue, am I right?

Comment

• Originally posted by ungoliant View Post
                    I don't know about Savage2 and HoN, since I have only installed them in Linux, but Quake Live also doesn't work on Windows since 10.5.

I think the OpenGL issue is not just a Linux specific issue, but also a Windows issue, am I right?
                    Any way you can get a backtrace from quake live to determine what specific OpenGL function causes the crash? If it isn't the same one, then it's not the same bug.

Also: Savage 2 and HoN on Windows run on DirectX 9. The engine code is completely different for Direct3d, so the bug isn't visible there.

In fact, it's possible to run Savage 2 in wine on Linux, and when wine translates the D3D9 calls into OpenGL, it avoids the faulty OpenGL function and it works. But it's dog slow, and has some of wine's emulation bugs, so it's not really playable. It's more playable with Catalyst 10.4 running the native Linux version.

Comment

In general you should be configuring the driver using the control panel or aticonfig these days, not by editing xorg.conf. Use xorg.conf for X server configuration and aticonfig for driver configuration.

Running aticonfig -help (or --help, I forget) will give you a list of options.
                      The command is aticonfig --help, or running aticonfig without any options.

Anyways, this leads to another good question.

When will the help parameters for aticonfig get segmented into separate options, because the help output is way to long for most users and could discourage the use of this command (even though currently this command is required to enable crossfire on linux).

Comment

Working...
                      X