No announcement yet.

"Ask ATI" dev thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On Windows XP, resizing and moving windows eats 30-40% CPU on the OCed Core 2 E6600 here (3.3GHz) with an HD4870 and Catalyst 9.1. A bit more in Linux (about 40-50%).

So I guess it sucks even in Windows But it feels more fluid there, even with the high CPU load.

Comment

• Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      On Windows XP, resizing and moving windows eats 30-40% CPU on the OCed Core 2 E6600 here (3.3GHz) with an HD4870 and Catalyst 9.1. A bit more in Linux (about 40-50%).

So I guess it sucks even in Windows But it feels more fluid there, even with the high CPU load.
      Moving windows here uses only about 10% in the most extreme case (very high resolution desktop and a large window moved as fast as possible).Resizing is much more CPU intensive (up to 70%).

But the most important thing is even if it loads the CPU to the max,it still feels 10x smoother than in Linux.
      Last edited by tuxdriver; 14 February 2009, 09:20 PM.

Comment

• ATI dev: any feedback about this 1fps issue when resizing windows with compositing turned on?

Comment

• Has anyone managed to figure out how to turn off underscan?

Running:

aticonfig --set-pcs-val=MCIL,DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan,0

Does not work. I can manually set the positionx, positiony, sizex and sizey parameters but that presents its own problem on reboot.

Comment

• Why Compiz with hd3470 is VERY SLOW ? It's a problem of driver ?
            (i'm refering to resize window, open window, close window...etc..)
            Why ?

Thanks!

Comment

• turn off the display contents on resizing and windows resizing will be fast. Don't use compiz and all window operations (except manual resizing) will be fast. Don't use composite and all window operations will be fast.

Comment

• My question to the ATI devs - will there be any support for geometry shaders in the near future, and if so how soon? from what I've heard, ati provides apis in D3D (windows), but doesnt provide the extension for OpenGL.

Comment

• Originally posted by ech0s7
                  Why Compiz with hd3470 is VERY SLOW ? It's a problem of driver ?
                  (i'm refering to resize window, open window, close window...etc..)
                  Why ?

Thanks!
                  Originally posted by energyman View Post
                  turn off the display contents on resizing and windows resizing will be fast. Don't use compiz and all window operations (except manual resizing) will be fast. Don't use composite and all window operations will be fast.
                  energyman,
                  yours it is not an answer! It is like saying the computer doesn't works and like solution turn off it.

Comment

• yes, it is an answer - you want fast manually window-resizing? then turn off 'show window contents on resize' or don't use effects. It is really that simple. And the first one a workaround that won't hit you hard, if you really *need* to use effects.

Comment

• Originally posted by energyman View Post
                      yes, it is an answer - you want fast manually window-resizing? then turn off 'show window contents on resize' or don't use effects. It is really that simple. And the first one a workaround that won't hit you hard, if you really *need* to use effects.
                      The true problem is that this driver are not to the same level of the driver for windows or of the driver nvidia or quite of the driver open-source radeonhd! Instead to say turn off the windows effects why you don't work to increase the fglrx performance on linux in order to be equal to catalyst for windows?
                      I have confronted the driver fglrx and radeonhd on my card on linux and the second ones are 7 faster times in 2D! and if you would i post you the test results.

Comment

Working...
                      X