"Ask ATI" dev thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @bridgman:

So I was always wondering how would it be to use an ATI card with intel's driver...

And I mean EXA acceleration, XvMC video support, full Xorg 7.3 support with AIGLX, 2.6.24 kernel better support.

And for ATI features Crossfire maybe?

Jim

Comment

• Originally posted by djdoo View Post
      @bridgman:

So I was always wondering how would it be to use an ATI card with intel's driver..
      Huh? It wouldn't work...
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        I will try to get some clarification on this. As givemesugarr says, this is the thread where we collect questions and work through them a few at a time over lunch, so if I can get an answer it'll go in a different thread.

This is more of a "hmm, I always wondered..." kind of thread
        Okay, I'll bite, ;-)
        Did someone ask for a list of all the options that can be put and be recognised in the fglrx xorg.conf device section already,
        preferrably with a short description of what they do, on or off?

I always wondered what all the recognised options are or where to find a comprehensive list of them and what they do.

Comment

• Originally posted by Swoopy View Post
          Okay, I'll bite, ;-)
          Did someone ask for a list of all the options that can be put and be recognised in the fglrx xorg.conf device section already,
          preferrably with a short description of what they do, on or off?

I always wondered what all the recognised options are or where to find a comprehensive list of them and what they do.
          this would be indeed useful. i totally quote this question: will we have some kind of documentation on what the various options fglrx could take?

Whenn xorg start the screen go black and even the keyboard go out!!!

So my best guest is that the driver think that the card is a PCIE and assing IRQ and so on as such. Wich of course crash the system.

If a dev out there could tell us how to fix this I would be satisfy.
          are you sure you don't have the glex.so problem?! or the other preinitdal problem present in 7.12?!
          anyway, please do not flood this thread, and post another thread asking for help. you could answer here inserting the link to the new thread.
          in this new thread include your /etc/X11/xorg.conf and the log of /var/log/Xorg.0.log when the system fails to start (if you need to reboot then just don't start xorg and copy the log, since it will be there). also you could tell us what distro, kernel, xorg, xorg-server and mesa you're using. we might be able to help you make the driver work for your board.
          please do not reply again here, since the q&a could be troublesome to read if there are normal help question from users.

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael View Post
            Huh? It wouldn't work...
            I think he was being sarcastic with this comment ...

It's like wow "intel works out of the box" and "amd does not work even if I waste time on trying to make it work and install the blob" thus maybe amd should hire intel people to make drivers for them.

I think that's what he meant ...

Comment

• Originally posted by givemesugarr View Post
              this would be indeed useful. i totally quote this question: will we have some kind of documentation on what the various options fglrx could take?

are you sure you don't have the glex.so problem?! or the other preinitdal problem present in 7.12?!
              anyway, please do not flood this thread, and post another thread asking for help. you could answer here inserting the link to the new thread.
              in this new thread include your .conf and the log of /var/log/Xorg.0.log when the system fails to start (if you need to reboot then just don't start xorg and copy the log, since it will be there). also you could tell us what distro, kernel, xorg, xorg-server and mesa you're using. we might be able to help you make the driver work for your board.
              please do not reply again here, since the q&a could be troublesome to read if there are normal help question from users.
              OK will do

Comment

• My apologies if these have already been answered. I would also like to thank Bridgman and all the other amd/ati devs for all your help.

My questions/wishes are:

What are all the available fglrx xorg.conf options?

I just bought one of the new 3870x2 cards for my vista gaming rig, do you guys have any idea when (if at all) will we get crossfire support?

Comment

• Originally posted by adurbin View Post
                  My apologies if these have already been answered. I would also like to thank Bridgman and all the other amd/ati devs for all your help.

My questions/wishes are:

What are all the available fglrx xorg.conf options?

I just bought one of the new 3870x2 cards for my vista gaming rig, do you guys have any idea when (if at all) will we get crossfire support?
                  You might want to have a look here:

and here:
                  Xorg uses a configuration file called xorg.conf and files ending in the suffix .conf from the directory xorg.conf.d for its initial setup. The xorg.conf ...

The first one lists special ati options, although the list is far from being complete and also a bit old.
                  I would appreciate if they would make a newer/better one.

Also have got a question:
                  Will there be a shorter reaction time to api changes in the linux kernel and/or the xorg-server?
                  If not, could there at least be unofficial patches "released" by ati?
                  (Currently one has to collect the changes been made and apply them to the ati driver, if possible, which normally is not possible when the xorg-server api changes.)

Comment

• Originally posted by givemesugarr View Post
                    in this new thread include your /etc/X11/xorg.conf and the log of /var/log/Xorg.0.log when the system fails to start (if you need to reboot then just don't start xorg and copy the log, since it will be there). also you could tell us what distro, kernel, xorg, xorg-server and mesa you're using. we might be able to help you make the driver work for your board.
                    Yes I am sure that I don't have the preInitDAL or glex.so issues.
                    Moved my woes over to thread http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...3837#post23837

Aside from that, I am glad that my request on this thread for full disclosure of all the available / usable fglrx xorg.conf device options is being echoed so often.

Comment

• I have so many questions... but well:

Could you please create a blog about what you are doing? And please a blog with more then one post/week.

OR

Release a roadmap and a complete changelist with what you will do and what you have done. Weekly updates would be enough.

In my company we have to create that kind of lists for whatever we do. So it should not be too hard for you to clean something like that up and publish it. Thats some kind of work a PR-Man should do.

Cleric

Comment

Working...
                      X