"Ask ATI" dev thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by val-gaav View Post
    I think he was being sarcastic with this comment ...

It's like wow "intel works out of the box" and "amd does not work even if I waste time on trying to make it work and install the blob" thus maybe amd should hire intel people to make drivers for them.

I think that's what he meant ...
    More-less that's what I meant...

Not exactly about intel's people, but about the fact that an opensource driver is by far the best one around for Linux systems and supporting the most modern Xorg's features!

And on the other hand you have 2 binary damn buggy drivers(fglrx and nvidia) fighting it's other on which one has the most bugs or support less features...

Furthermore you do not even have to install it! Plug and play!

Jim

Comment

• Originally posted by givemesugarr View Post
      are you sure you don't have the glex.so problem?! or the other preinitdal problem present in 7.12?!
      Hi, I looked though the forums here but I don't seem to have found a solution to the glesx problem, so since you point that out, maybe do to have a solution?
      For the moment, the only thing that makes it work, for me, is rename the file called glesx.so so the driver does not try and use it. That works as long as you don't run *any* gl application. Otherwise, the whole system crashes.

Here is the topic I posted on the forum last night: http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7648

Thanks for any help, I really need to get this thing working quickly!

P.S.: why is there a driver on the AMD/ATI website for HD 2400 Pro if it doesn't work!!??!! If I knew I would have waited before buying the card (and probably payed it less too)!

Comment

• i did a quick check, but When will the details about acquiring the sensor readouts of the Graphics Cards come out?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dandel View Post
          i did a quick check, but When will the details about acquiring the sensor readouts of the Graphics Cards come out?
          This one really belongs in the open source side so I'll keep it off the dev Q&A list. We don't have a specific schedule for sensor info, but as long as it's straightforward (crosses fingers) we'll probably try to put it out after the first round of 3d info.
          Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            This one really belongs in the open source side so I'll keep it off the dev Q&A list. We don't have a specific schedule for sensor info, but as long as it's straightforward (crosses fingers) we'll probably try to put it out after the first round of 3d info.
            That would be cool. It would be even cooler (as it says ) to release a "power management" documentation package, which includes info about sensors, fans (fan control?) and powerplay.

But you are right, that doesn't really belong here.

Comment

• Well since this is the ATI/AMD dev tread I have one suggestion for you guy's

This is all about priority and what the costumer need, to be at the very least satisfy with your product. (I have work in Quality management in the Past BTW)

First of all when a costumer buy one of your product it has to work. Meaning that the first priority is that the driver that your company produce MUST support the card that are on the market. For example the current driver do not support any card for the HD 2400 to HD2600 in the AGP format!!!!!

Just imagine how satisfy is a costumer that purchase a HD 2600 PRO AGP just to find out that it will take many month for AMD to produce a driver that is usable with it!?!?

I see a lot of suggestion from member of this board for new feature for you next driver. That is very good in it self. But has a development team you have to set up priority first. And the first priority for your costumer is in the very least to be able to use your product.

I'm the unlucky owner of an AMD radeon HD2600 PRO AGP. and I do not own WinXP or Vista. Therefore this brand new card is totally useless for me. So I put it back in it's box. And I'm looking to replace it as soon has possible. I will also write has many review and opinion about this product and your company attitude toward there custumer.

One unsatisfy costumer = 1000 less costumer!

I just hope for your company that your team will set up there priority with the end costumer in mind.

Best regard.

Comment

• One more question, I think, I didn't read this one yet, but I might just not have seen it yet.

Will ATI with the fglrx driver make use of the X.org subsystems, for example randr 1.2?

Currently for multihead solutions ATI users have to use "BigDesktop", which to be honest is far from being optimal, compared to randr 1.2.
                I ran the open source driver now for a few weeks, playing around with randr 1.2 a little bit and it is so much better.
                With the fglrx when plugging in a display almost always I do have to restart the X server and if I don't and change the resolution manually it will just crash and restart it itself. Then there is a bug, that prevents me from switching to a dual head resolution at all.

That said with the proprietary solution I can't:
                - Rotate single displays
                - Change the resolution for a single display (while remaining in dual head)
                - Change the dpi per display
                - Switch from horizontal to vertical layout without restart (that can be useful for diagnostics, because vertical setups give more problems sometimes)

Comment

• Originally posted by fred View Post
                  Well since this is the ATI/AMD dev tread I have one suggestion for you guy's

This is all about priority and what the costumer need, to be at the very least satisfy with your product. (I have work in Quality management in the Past BTW)

First of all when a costumer buy one of your product it has to work. Meaning that the first priority is that the driver that your company produce MUST support the card that are on the market. For example the current driver do not support any card for the HD 2400 to HD2600 in the AGP format!!!!!

Just imagine how satisfy is a costumer that purchase a HD 2600 PRO AGP just to find out that it will take many month for AMD to produce a driver that is usable with it!?!?

I see a lot of suggestion from member of this board for new feature for you next driver. That is very good in it self. But has a development team you have to set up priority first. And the first priority for your costumer is in the very least to be able to use your product.

I'm the unlucky owner of an AMD radeon HD2600 PRO AGP. and I do not own WinXP or Vista. Therefore this brand new card is totally useless for me. So I put it back in it's box. And I'm looking to replace it as soon has possible. I will also write has many review and opinion about this product and your company attitude toward there custumer.

One unsatisfy costumer = 1000 less costumer!

I just hope for your company that your team will set up there priority with the end costumer in mind.

Best regard.
                  I totally agree. I'm in the same problem as you but with an ATI 2400HD
                  card. Byt the way, ATI/AMD didn't even make the windows drivers of the AGP versions of these cards: that's a smart move...

Comment

• Originally posted by N-0-X View Post
                    I totally agree. I'm in the same problem as you but with an ATI 2400HD
                    card. Byt the way, ATI/AMD didn't even make the windows drivers of the AGP versions of these cards: that's a smart move...
                    This topic is all about setting priority!

And if you buy a card and it doesn't work it doesn't matter is such and such feature are supported or not!!!!

I just hope that the AMD DEV get that!

Comment

• Originally posted by fred View Post
                      This topic is all about setting priority!

And if you buy a card and it doesn't work it doesn't matter is such and such feature are supported or not!!!!

I just hope that the AMD DEV get that!
                      this topic is about questions to be asked to amd/ati developers and not about people that want to impose priorities on them.
                      so i must tell you again: if you want to ask questions to ati devs then try asking questions that haven't been asked.
                      if you want to blaim someone and to express your unsatisfaction then opena nother thread.

Comment

Working...
                      X