No announcement yet.

"Ask ATI" dev thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Might make sense to red-flag the post and ask to have the email addy removed...
    Test signature

Comment

• Yeah I'll use that as a workaround. Would be nice if Michael finally fixes this bug that prevents you from editing your own posts though.

Comment

• Removing the instant notification. Can this be done without having to post a message?

Comment

• Originally posted by monraaf View Post
          Yeah I'll use that as a workaround. Would be nice if Michael finally fixes this bug that prevents you from editing your own posts though.
          It's not a bug, it's a feature

Seriously -- as I understand it the edit window was deliberately cut down to make it harder for spammers.
          Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            It's not a bug, it's a feature

Seriously -- as I understand it the edit window was deliberately cut down to make it harder for spammers.
            Then it would make sense to remove that limit once a member has reached a given post count. (Still off-topic but oh well)

As for monraaf's remark, yes they can be used with openSUSE. That's what the installer refers to with SuSE/SUSE, in contrast with SuSE/SLE which is for the commercial version. 10.7 adds support for openSUSE 11.3

@lukem33p
            openSUSE's wiki page about the catalyst drivers. In all fairness, the page history shows it was updated on the 6th of august to reflect 11.3 changes. However it would still be interesting to know where you got your information.
            Since you seem to favor ease of installation, was there any reason for you not to use the open source drivers?

Comment

• No Open-Source Hardware Acceleration for Evergreen So I Switched

Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
              Then it would make sense to remove that limit once a member has reached a given post count. (Still off-topic but oh well)

As for monraaf's remark, yes they can be used with openSUSE. That's what the installer refers to with SuSE/SUSE, in contrast with SuSE/SLE which is for the commercial version. 10.7 adds support for openSUSE 11.3

@lukem33p
              openSUSE's wiki page about the catalyst drivers. In all fairness, the page history shows it was updated on the 6th of august to reflect 11.3 changes. However it would still be interesting to know where you got your information.
              Since you seem to favor ease of installation, was there any reason for you not to use the open source drivers?
              Actually, I have an Evergreen-based Radeon HD 5770, so I have no 3D Acceleration or 2D acceleration and while my i5 750 is good enough for videos and the weakest games, that seemed like a waste of my $160. I switched to Ubuntu because of this (and no .deb for OpenSuSe, instead harder-to-find rpm). No big deal, and from what it sounds like OpenSuSe should make those repos visible to their users by default, as I saw no option.

Another thing: When I took the plunge and used the ATi proprietary (from the ATi site, newest version (10.7), I had a bad time as I am useless at the terminal, and unfortunately that's all the driver left me with. Runlevel 5 skipped some pieces including what was called xdm. Not good. I don't know if it was just me, and in said case I don't care, but I had a similar scenario with previous drivers, RV700, and OpenSuSe 11.2. Seems to be a recurring pattern. Did I miss a step? I'm curious.

Comment

• EDIT!

Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post

@lukem33p
                Missed your first point. But along with my last post, I had already ditched by about then as I really wanted an operating system with easy, nearly out-of-box acceleration, and Jockey is a good way to bring it right into my hands. It's cool that it's there now, but not worth the effort of switching. Assuming the switch from 10.04 to 12.04 is good (Next LTR) then I'll stick with that. I only recently got a 5770 and wanted to test it out, but had no usable driver. As it turns out, Ubuntu+Gnome now works, like it should have in 9.10 . Thanks for the help, though! I was just pointing out what I thought was a rare oversight and not a "we're working on it."

Comment

• I like the title of this thread, so here's my quick and dirty question.

Is it possible to crossfire two Radeon HD 3650 adapters under openSUSE 11.3, particularly on a GA-MA790X-DS4?

Comment

• when are we going to see xvba video acceleration on Ati hd 5650 cards?
                    i bought this card mostly for video acceleration and some games..

Comment

• Where are users suppose to report fglrx bugs to?

I've searched the amd/ati website for where you can report bugs and have not found where i can report an issue. If your interested its:

sleep 1; xset dpms force off ; sleep 10; xset dpms force on

This should and does work with ati open source driver, but with fglrx it does not completly wake up from sleep. I think this would take one of your engineers like 2 minutes to fix this. In any case i would still like to know where you are suppose to report bugs officially. Its the last part of this that is the concern, when my screen saver goes off on htpc I want it to wake on remote keypress, the remote keypress runs xset dpms force on and should turn back on the screen but it does not, at least with the property driver.

Comment

Working...
                      X