Page 1 of 104 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: "Ask ATI" dev thread

Hybrid View

Default "Ask ATI" dev thread

If you guys come up with the questions, I will get the answers - Michael
    Post any questions that you have for ATI fglrx devs here...

how can you guarantee any ati dev will answer them?

all i care about is : (not really to the devs)
    > when can we expect the rest of the docs?

Quote Originally Posted by yoshi314 View Post
    all i care about is : (not really to the devs)
    > when can we expect the rest of the docs?
    I second that. I would love to see a almost complete radeonhd driver on summer 2008.

Will there be a documentation release any time soon for the R300/R400 parts? I have a mobility X700 in my laptop - the fglrx driver can't (and never could, ever) suspend and wake up again successfully. The radeon driver can do it perfectly, but it has an odd bug that causes X to freeze up at random. Both seem to be terrible at power management. I have a suspicion that proper documentation would help the radeon dev team to solve the last two problems.

Is there any concept of a "blocker" bug prior to the release of a version of fglrx? I.e. how big does a bug have to be before it means delaying a driver?

Do any of you have nvidia cards in your PCs at home? Would you recommend them?

Quote Originally Posted by werdz View Post
    Will there be a documentation release any time soon for the R300/R400 parts?
    I am interested in that too.I have a Ati Radeon Xpress Mobility X1150.I saw many laptops with this card including new ones.Because it is Mobility it is not based on r500 but on r400.This means that no open source driver has proper support for it or even supports it at all(Radeon,RadeonHD,Avivo).
    So I would like to know when can we expect the r400 specs?

Quote Originally Posted by mo0n_sniper View Post
    I am interested in that too.I have a Ati Radeon Xpress Mobility X1150.I saw many laptops with this card including new ones.Because it is Mobility it is not based on r500 but on r400.This means that no open source driver has proper support for it or even supports it at all(Radeon,RadeonHD,Avivo).
    So I would like to know when can we expect the r400 specs?
    i don't know if it's feasible what i've suggested in the x200m status thread in the opensource ati forum, ie. provide some nda documentation about the igps to devs who needs it so that they could do some adjustments for these boards, specially with regarding of powerplay-standby-suspend and with info for fixing the casual xorg crashes, but it would be nice for these boards' owners to see some of these feature working acceptable in the near future. for example on my board, suspend to ram works, but the second time i try to do it the pc doesn't suspend anymore. the suspend to disk has the same issue, and sometimes it even doesn't restart well. from what i've read around here this issues are present in all igps and if there would be a way to fix them in a quite rapid way (fglrx of via a nda in the opensource driver) it would be great.
    delivering info for only the igps would be troublesome since there are different types of series (i don't know how much they're different from the non-igp boards and how much proprietary stuff have included inside). for me fglrx is usable and quite stable but still has some issues that aren't good enough (performance is very low and power management is not as i'd like).

so my question is: will these boards' user receive a good driver (power management and performant 2d and 3d) in the near future (about a quarter of an year)?

What would be most interesting is "what are you working on for the next releases?", but they won't answer that.

What apps/tools/games do the devs use for testing regressions and speed? In particular, has there any testing of wine wrt the awful performance noted by wine devs
    More like your video drivers broken / misconfigured. ATi's craft known to by
    buggy beyond repair.
    from http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=10487

Any likelihood of AVIVO support?
    Last edited by hmmm; 11-21-2007 at 04:59 PM.

Default hotfixes?

I wonder if there is any plans on having hotfixes in the future. For like bugs like soname and the memleak...

My only question to the developers:

Are you aware of the existing memory leak in 8.41, 8.42 and seemingly fglrx 7.11?

That's about it. Xv works fine for me, as does all the other features I use. I just want to know that they know about said (fatal) memory leak.