X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by djdoo View Post
    OK then do this:

As root type in a terminal /usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh

And after that just reinstall the driver. Then reboot and tell us what happened...
    Don't forget to re-edit your xorg.conf after that... Or save your old one and replace the new autogenerated.
    Ok, I'll do that tonight.

Just a few precisions : the diversion problem appears when I install the drivers from testing repositories (which is my priority). I uninstalled them and reinstalled the .deb packages generated by the official AMD/ATI binary and saw in the log that the diversion worked well. I kept my xorg.conf and everything worked fine (glxgears, fgl_gears and WoW) but i did not see any performance improvement.
    So I installed back the testing repo drivers and got the error again.

When you say "re-edit your worg.conf again" what do you mean? I mean, in both cases (testing repo or official binary) the xorg.conf I copied/pasted earlier should work the same? Shouldn't it?

Comment

OK then do this:

As root type in a terminal /usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh
      There's no /usr/share/ati directory on my computer.

I installed the drivers with apt-get, not from the official binary.

Comment

• So it is my understanding that i can't use this driver with Fedora Core 8 and compiz, unless i downgrade Xorg to the previous version just like in FC7 ?

just a quick recap: this new driver worked fine with kernel 2.6.23 on my FC7 with cnady-eye compiz.

installation of the driver on FC8 worked almost fine, driver still report a wrong resolution of my screen, when resolution is indeed correct. however compiz complain about pixmap stuff.

very similar to FC7 story and 8.42 driver a while ago

thanks for any input if anyone has one.

Kiryl

Comment

• @Nevohteeb:

What if you try to install the driver from the official binary?
          Maybe that will help...

It's not so hard to install the driver from the binary, I have the choice to install the driver from packages for my openSUSE 10.3 but I prefer to have full control of the installation.

Cause if you change the Kernel the precompiled driver package will not work.
          If you have the binary you just reinstall the driver.

Comment

• Installing the drivers from the binary gives a working situation. Nevertheless, I don't see any performance improvement compared with the 8.40 ones.

Thank you for the help anyway

Comment

• Originally posted by khakhovich View Post
              So it is my understanding that i can't use this driver with Fedora Core 8 and compiz, unless i downgrade Xorg to the previous version just like in FC7 ?

Kiryl
              Yes, that's right.

Comment

• Hello everyone,

I finally manage to install those 7.11 drivers WITH performance improvement. I don't really know what I did different compared to all the previous installs but I used the official binary from which I built debian/lenny packages and all went right : 55 FPS on WoW with all option up to max!!! Just like Windows

Nevertheless I still experience some texture errors (screen is almost all black) on WoW but that's not the point of that thread.

Anyway, I still have some questions : could someone explain me or paste a link explaining what are the different "modules" I can put on my xorg.conf.
                Let me explain. If I generate a xorg.conf with the dpk-reconfgure tool I have all the important sections (device/screen/monitor/etc...) but the module section is empty. Someone here (I think it's djdoo) told me to add Load dri and Load glx under that section, but I did not see any difference with or without those lines... Moreover, I have never found any information about what those lines are made for.

Anyway, thanks a lot for all the help

Comment

• Maybe DRI and GLX are loaded automatically at Debian systems man...

DRI=Direct Rendering Interface

Those 55 fps you say, you get them after you make a new xorg.conf with that tool you mention??
                  Or just right after you install the Binary driver without touching xorg.conf??

Comment

Maybe DRI and GLX are loaded automatically at Debian systems man...

DRI=Direct Rendering Interface
                    Ok, I guess it is the case.

Those 55 fps you say, you get them after you make a new xorg.conf with that tool you mention??
                    Or just right after you install the Binary driver without touching xorg.conf??
                    I did not installed the binary. I installed the ./deb that I generated from the binary, but I guess you understood that of course .
                    About your question, I have my 55 fps without touching my xorg.conf.

Comment

• Post your xorg.conf here after you install the binary driver to see what's going on... the "without touching it" one!

Comment

Working...
                      X